Thinking of starting your own business?
“Be The Boss” is a programme of enterprise support aimed at students and graduates of the University of Derby who want to become self-employed.
Through a combination of action planning, one to one support provided by experienced business advisers, a series of workshops and other activity you’ll be able to develop the skills you need to confidently set up and run your own new business. By participating in the “Be The Boss” programme you’ll benefit from:
- An initial 1:1 meeting with the Enterprise Adviser within the Careers and Employment Service (CES) team. During this we’ll help you to identify the strengths and development needs of you and your business whilst also looking at your marketplace for sales opportunities and highlighting potential threats. We’ll work with you to create a personalised action plan to help you when formulating your business plan
- Attendance at 5 x 3 hour workshops covering key topics: Business Planning, Market Research & Pricing, Marketing Strategy, Selling Skills and Preparing To Trade. Each workshop will include practical, hands-on activities which will equip you with knowledge and tools that you can immediately benefit from
- Up to 6 hours worth of support from an experienced business adviser, during which you’ll be able to discuss all aspects of setting up and running a successful business. All meetings, which will be held on campus, will be documented with agreed actions
- An opportunity to present your business plan to a panel of business advisers and receive constructive feedback
- A review meeting with the Enterprise Adviser to discuss learning outcomes and track progress in setting up your new business
- A £1,500 bursary. This is paid subject to completing specific activities and starting your business
In order to be considered for the “Be The Boss” programme you must be a student or recent graduate i.e. have graduated within the last 3 years. You must reside within the D2N2 postcode area and this can be checked using the postcode list below.
If you’ve already set up a new business you may still be eligible but will need to provide evidence that the business is less than 12 months old and that you haven’t started trading yet. A business locating into the programme area for the first time, to start trading, is also eligible.
Certain industry sectors cannot be supported by the “Be The Boss” programme. These include:
- Financial service sector businesses e.g. banks, insurance companies and financial advisers
- Establishments providing generalised (school age) education
- Purchase, building and renovation of property for residential use
- The retail sector
To be considered for the “Be The Boss” programme you must be able to participate in each of the planned activities and complete the necessary application paperwork.
Find out more about D2N2 Eligibility.
This programme is part of the Enabling Innovation Project which is part funded by the European Regional Development Fund.
To find out more about the programme please call us on 01332 591316 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.