Course details

Course level

Level 6


60 months

Lecture/workshop days - dates/times

80% is on-the-job learning. The remaining 20% is through 'blended learning' - a combination of face-to-face and online teaching. Face-to-face sessions are usually delivered in blocks and we can be flexible, arranging them to fit around the workplace.

Course description

The Chartered Legal Executive apprentice provides legal services to internal and external clients. Typical activities that will be carried out are:

Structure, certificates and assessment

The 20% ‘off the job’ training is for the delivery of CILEx accredited modules, where you study towards the CILEx examinations. Within the ‘off the job’ training, the apprentice will also be uploading Knowledge, Skills and Behaviours (KSB) evidence to an e-portfolio. The apprentice will also complete the 80% on-the-job learning, and this can also be used as KSB evidence that can be uploaded on the e-portfolio.

On completion of the EPA, the apprentice achieves the following:

This apprenticeship can link to the Paralegal standard and the Solicitor standard.  Apprentices who have passed the Paralegal apprenticeship and obtained CILEx Level 3 Diploma in Law and Practice, or have a qualifying Law Degree are eligible for exemption from part of the current Chartered Legal Executive qualifications.

Apprentices will be registered members of CILEx for the duration of their Apprenticeship. There are different membership grades at different points of the route to becoming a Chartered Legal Executive. CILEx members are regulated by CILEx Regulation and apprentices must demonstrate that they meet the regulatory requirements necessary to become a CILEx member.

You will study a number of modules during the apprenticeship, some of which are optional as opposed to core.  You therefore have the opportunity to study modules that are relevant to your preferred area of law or an area that you have interest in. 

Entry requirements

Employment requirements

You will need to be at least 18 plus to start on this apprenticeship. Your employer will approach the University about putting you forward for the apprenticeship and must be prepared to cover the costs of the apprenticeship.

Academic requirements

There are no formal entry requirements.  However, it is recommended that students have a minimum of four GCSEs at grades C or above (including English Language or Literature) or equivalent qualifications.

Individual employers may identify any additional relevant entry requirements for employment in terms of previous qualifications or other criteria.


If you have passed the ‘paralegal’ CILEx Level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship in Legal Services and the CILEx Level 4 Higher Apprenticeship in Legal Services, you are eligible for exemption from parts of this apprenticeship. If you hold a law degree, you may also be eligible for exemptions. 


Fees and funding

The cost will be paid for by the employer.

More details for employers

The cost of this apprenticeship will normally be in line with the funding band £12,000 but we will consider individual agreements, depending on student numbers and your involvement.

If you pay into the Apprenticeship Levy, this funding will be used. If you don't, generous government subsidies are available - talk to us to find out more.

How to apply

To apply, you need to discuss the apprenticeship with your employer, who would then make contact with us.

However, you can find out more from us - please see below for contact information.

Empower your workforce with block bookings

Take advantage of a short courses block booking to upskill your employees. Our short courses run on-campus and online and include new legislation and other up-to-the-minute issues. Get in touch today and we will tailor a package to meet the needs of your business.

Block booking for businessBlock booking for business

Contact us

Apprenticeships Hub +44 (0)800 001 5500

If you want to find out more about studying a short course, please contact us and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

Contact us Contact us