Terms and conditions
Who can apply?
Any group or organisation working in Derbyshire, Burton, Leek, Macclesfield, Mansfield or Uttoxeter will be eligible to apply, unless they are part of the University.
Which projects receive funding?
Priority will be given to applications which demonstrate any the following:
- Promotion of Derby City or Derbyshire County heritage
- Contribution to educational development
- Benefit to local communities
- Increased engagement between the University and the community
- Widening participation in education
- Environmental sustainability.
All applications are considered on a case-by-case basis against our funding criteria.
Which projects do not receive funding?
- Applications to cover day-to-day running costs such as rent or maintenance
- Applications to cover staffing costs.
- Purposes for which other financial support exists within the University
- Applications for retrospective funding
- Projects where the activity is to promote belief in, or support for, a religion, philosophy or political party, or to provide services on the basis of adherence to a religion, philosophy or political party.
The Community Fund cannot be used to fund services or projects that would usually be provided by a statutory organisation such as a Local Authority.
Amount of funding available
In 2016/17 £15,000 of funding will be available. Applications for funding will be considered by the University every three months (Sep-Dec, Jan-Apr, May-Aug), with £5,000 available in each round.
How to apply
Applications should be made using our online application form, which will ask you to outline:
- The required level of funding (up to £2,500)
- How it would be used
- How the project meets our funding criteria
- Project timescale
- Details of additional funding sought or secured.
If funding is awarded, applicants should be prepared to work with the University to publicise the award and must submit a project report upon completion.
Terms and conditions
- The funding must be used to benefit the community and people living within the defined areas stated above.
- Each project can request up to £2,500 from the Community Fund and successful applicants must be prepared to publicise their completed project, provide evidence of the amount spent and say how it has helped the community.
- The applicant must be authorised to apply for funding on behalf of the organisation.
- If the project involves work with children or vulnerable adults, all staff should have a valid Disclosure and Barring Services (DBS, formerly CRB) check and should have received appropriate training.
- Your application could be declared invalid if at any stage you make misleading statements (whether deliberate or accidental) or withhold information. If this happens you would be liable to repay any funds awarded by the University.
- If requested, applicants must provide copies of the following documents: Signed constitution/set of rules/Memorandum and Articles of Association; Most recent annual report or business plan; Equal Opportunities policy; Child Protection/Vulnerable Adults Policy.
- Any award will be regarded as a ‘one-off’ grant and no commitment will be given to ongoing funding. The University of Derby will decide on the amount to award against each individual application, favouring sustainable projects. This will not necessarily be the amount requested on the application.
- The Community Fund must be used for the purpose specified in the application, or the grant offer letter. All funds that are used for expenditure other than as stated on the application form must be repaid to the University of Derby immediately.
- All funds awarded by the University which are left unspent must be repaid to the University of Derby. This includes funding awarded in advance for an event/activity which is subsequently cancelled. However, the University of Derby at its discretion may not include items of expenditure already made against the event by request.
- The organisation awarded funding is required to submit receipts and a short write-up at the end of the project.
- Any organisation receiving support from the University of Derby must acknowledge the award on their website, in promotional literature, in press articles or at their premises.
To complete an application form visit: www.derby.ac.uk/about/community/fund/.
For further information or to request a paper application form, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 01332 591994.