Therapeutic Arts Courses
Use your creativity to help others by studying one of our therapeutic arts courses.
If you love dance, drama, music or art and you want to develop your skills so that you can work creatively with others, our BA (Hons) Creative Expressive Therapies course is for you. It’s a unique course which focuses on the important role that the arts can play in physical and emotional wellbeing. Our Dance and Movement Studies course will allow you to develop an understanding of the body, dance and movement and the creative application of your art form in working with people in various settings.
We’re proud to say that our courses are closely mapped against the health and social care sector. This ensures that our curriculum is up to date, providing you with the assurance that your learning is current and relevant. This does mean that we do have to respond to national changes such as government policy. As a result, some of the information about our courses may change.
Helping people to enjoy themselves
“In creative expressive therapies you work with the healthy aspects of the person, so we look at doing fun things with them and helping them to enjoy themselves. It’s been a wonderful experience and I’ve made real friends for life here. I would say to anyone who wants to come and do this course ‘do it, it’s great. I have had the best time here’. I’ve met amazing people, the lecturers are all incredible, everyone works really hard and we have a real community here.”
This is Therapeutic Arts
- You’ll go on work placements and get involved in community projects to develop the skills that employers seek, and experience first-hand how the arts can have a positive impact on the lives of others
- Our facilities include a dance studio with floor to ceiling mirrors and a sprung floor, and dedicated art studios; perfect environments for you to demonstrate your creativity
- Each year final year students on our Creative Expressive Therapies course showcase their work as part of the University’s end of year degree show which is attended by professionals from across the sector.
What our Therapeutic Arts graduates do
Your creative and transferable skills will enable you to work with people in a range of different settings.
Career opportunities open to graduates include:
- community arts
- arts administration
- your own business
- teaching, following further training
- art therapy, following further training.
Find out if studying at Derby is right for you at one of our Open Days:
Click here to close or press ESC