Real world learning
Our focus is on real world learning – preparing students for the world of work by giving them the theory and letting them put it into practice in our state of the art facilities.
Derby's facilities include a simulated hospital and working radiography suite; industry standard kitchens and a fine dining restaurant; computer games suites; a commercial spa and salon; a law court and sports science gym.
Our students gain real world experience through short and long term placements in high quality companies such as IBM, Microsoft, Porsche, Asda, Bentley, DHL, Renault, TNT, Accenture, Lubrizol, Rolls-Royce, Toyota, PriceWaterhouse Cooper, primary schools and hospitals.
We offer a wide range of higher education and further education courses, and we pioneered online learning to now offer over 30 online courses.
Derby has specialised in teaching arts, design and technology subjects and training teachers since the early 1900s. This tradition continues today and we now also offer courses in business, computing, law, health, the sciences, and courses relating to the leisure industries.
We are also one of the few universities to offer a Joint Honours Scheme, allowing students to study two or three subjects instead of just one.
Our online courses, can be studied from anywhere in the world, include the MBA, Education, Hotel Management, Psychology and Ergonomics.
We have some of the newest and best facilities in the UK and have invested nearly £150m in the last ten years (£89m in the last five years) to achieve this. All of our facilities are designed to give our students the very best possible learning environment.
- £21m new build of Markeaton Street for Arts, Design and Technology
- £23m refurbishment of the Dome at University of Derby Buxton
- £1.5m Clinical Skills Suite simulated hospital
- £0.5m The Academy venue for the Students’ Union
- £13m regeneration and green energy projects for the Kedleston Road towers
- £0.75m 3G floodlit all weather sports pitch and tennis court
- £3.3m expansion of the Kirtley Building, including a state of the art gym
- £1.4m refurbishment of the Buxton sports centre, including a professional climbing wall