Students in financial hardship

Two pound coin

If you're a UK home student and are in financial difficulty there are a number of sources of support available for you.

The Student Employment Agency can help you find temporary and part time work that can fit around your academic study.

If you have not received the maximum student funding available and your circumstances have significantly changed you may be entitled to have your student loan and maintenance grant reassessed. You can find out more about this at

You may be entitled to financial assistance from the Discretionary Support Fund (DSF). You can find more details about this below. Please note: Some of the advice you need may differ depending on whether you are studying on a further education or higher education course. We have tried to reflect this in these pages, however, if you are unsure about anything, please contact us.

If you are an international student and you are in financial difficulty you can find advice and guidance on the UKCISA website.

» What is the Discretionary Support Fund?

» Who is eligible to apply?

» How can I apply?

» When can I apply?

» How long does the process take?

» How is the application assessed?

» How much could I receive?

» Can I appeal against the decision?

» Can I apply to the Fund more than once?

» Can I receive any help towards my tuition fees?

» Application form and guidance notes

» Contact details

© Copyright University of Derby 2014 | Accessibility | Privacy and cookies | Disclaimer | About us as a charity | Company information | Staff admin