Professor Zhiyin Yang
Position: Professor of Aerospace and Composite Engineering
College: College of Engineering and Technology
Subject area: Engineering
Research Centre: Institute for Innovation in Sustainable Engineering
Professor Zhiyin Yang holds the chair of Aerospace and Composite Engineering in the Department of Engineering at the University of Derby. He received his PhD in Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) from the University of Sheffield, worked at Queen Mary University of London and the University of Surrey as research fellow/senior research fellow before becoming a member of faculty at the University of Loughborough. He left Loughborough to take a readership at the University of Sussex and then moved to the University of Derby.
Prof. Yang has been conducting world leading research in turbulent/transitional flow simulation, in particular, in the development of Large-Eddy Simulation (LES) techniques for turbulent/transitional flow, two phase flow, heat transfer and combustion for more than 25 years. He has about 100 scientific publications in reputable journals (JFM; Physics of Fluids; AIAA etc), academic books and international conferences. He has secured many research projects funded by research councils and leading industries, established and conducted collaborative research at international level with both academic and industrial partners.
Prof. Yang serves as an Editorial Board member of three international journals and has chaired over many international conferences/workshops, invited to give Keynote Speech at several international conferences.
- Transitional and Turbulent flow
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Large-Eddy Simulation
- Two-phase flow
- Heat Transfer
- Ph.D in Computational Fluid Dynamics, The University of Sheffield
- Choopanya, P. and Yang, Z. (2016) An effective mesh strategy for CFD modelling of polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cells. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 41 (15). pp. 6445-6456.
- Li. H. and Yang. Z. (2016) Numerical study of separated boundary layer transition under pressure gradient. Proceeding of the 12th International Conference on Heat Transfer, Fluid Mechanics and Thermodynamics, pp. 1759-1764, July 2016, Malaga, Spain.
- Choopanya, P. and Yang, Z. (2016) Meshing strategy for PEM fuel cells CFD modelling – a systematic approach. Proceedings of International Conference on Power, Energy Engineering and Management, Paper 112, January 2016, Bangkok, Thailand.
- Abdalla, I. E., Alajmi, A. and Yang, Z. (2015) Numerical study of the combustion of conventional and BioFuels using reduced and advanced reaction mechanisms. Thermal Science, 19 (6). pp. 2171-2184. ISSN 0354-9836.
- Choopanya, P. and Yang, Z. (2015) A CFD investigation of effects of flow-field geometry on transient performance of an automotive polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cell. Computational Thermal Sciences, 7 (2). pp. 93-104. ISSN 1940-2503
- Yang, Z. (2015) Large-eddy simulation: past, present and the future. Chinese Journal of Aeronautics, 28 (1). pp. 11-24. ISSN 1000-9361
- Walton, M. and Yang, Z. (2014) Numerical study of effusion cooling flow and heat transfer. International Journal of Computational Methods and Experimental Measurements, 2 (4). pp. 331-345. ISSN 2046-0546
- Yang, Z. (2014) Assessment of unsteady-RANS approach against steady-RANS approach for predicting twin Impinging jets in a cross-flow. Cogent Engineering, 1 (1). ISSN 2331-1916
- Alajmi, A., Abdalla, I. E., Bengherbia, T. and Yang, Z. (2014) Numerical simulation of spray combustion of conventional and biofuels. In: Advances in fluid mechanics X. WITpress, UK, pp. 325-335. ISBN 9781845647902.
- Choopanya, P. and Yang, Z. (2014) Transient performance investigation of different flow-field designs of automotive polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cell using computational fluid dynamics. In: the 10th International Conference on Heat Transfer, Fluid Mechanics and Thermodynamics, 14 – 16 July 2014, Florida, USA.
- Yang, Z. (2014) Large-eddy simulation: a glance at the past, a gaze at the present, a glimpse at the future. In: the 5th International Symposium on Jet Propulsion and Power Engineering, 15th - 17th September 2014, Beijing, China.
- Langari, M., Yang, Z. and Page, G. J. (2013) Large-eddy simulation of transitional flows using a co-located grid. International Journal of Computational Fluid Dynamics, 27 (4-5). pp. 189-200. ISSN 1061-8562
- Langari, M. and Yang, Z. (2013) Numerical study of the primary instability in a separated boundary layer transition under elevated free-stream turbulence. Physics of Fluids, 25 (7). 076106-12. ISSN 1070-6631
- Yang, Z. (2013) Numerical study of instabilities in separated-reattached flows. International Journal of Computational Methods and Experimental Measurements, 1 (2). pp. 116-131. ISSN 2046-0546
- Ostheimer, D. and Yang, Z. (2012) A CFD study of twin Impinging jets in a cross-flow. Open Numerical Methods Journal, 4. pp. 24-34. ISSN 1876-3898
- Yang, Z. (2012) Numerical study of transition process in a separated boundary layer on a flat plate with two different leading edges. WSEAS Transactions on Applied and Theoretical Mechanics, 7 (1). pp. 49-58. ISSN 1991-8747
- Rohr, C. and Yang, Z. (2012) A numerical study of active flow control for low pressure turbine blades. In: 4th International Symposium on Jet Propulsion and Power Engineering, 10-12 September, Xian, China.
- Webb-Martin, S. and Yang, Z. (2012) Assessment of URANS approach for predicting twin impinging jets in a cross-flow. In: 9th International Conference on Heat Transfer, Fluid Mechanics and Thermodynamics, 15-18th, July, Malta.
- Yang, Z., Samad-Suhaeb , M. and Render, P. M. (2012) Computational study of a battle damaged finite aspect ratio wing. In: 30th AIAA Applied Aerodynamics Conference, 25-28th June, New Orleans, USA.
- Walton, M. and Yang, Z. (2012) CFD study of effusion cooling. In: 4th International Symposium on Jet Propulsion and Power Engineering, 10-12 September, Xian, China.
Sports (mainly Badminton now) and Music.
Have had research collaborations with Aerospace and Automotive industries.
- Collaborative research with European and Chinese universities.
- Seminars/lectures at international conferences and at universities/research institutes in Europe, USA and China.