Position: Lecturer In Criminology
College: College of Law, Humanities and Social Sciences
Subject area: Policing
Research Centre: International Policing & Justice Institute
I am currently the UG programme leader for Criminology and teach a number of modules relating to policing and the wider criminology. I also am the module leader for several MsC modules, specifically connected with investigating serious crime and criminal investigation.
As well as the programme leader role I am actively involved with the International Policing and Justice Institute and support their programme of activities. I have developed the Gangmasters Licensing Authority (GLA) training scheme to educate the licensed sectors to identify labour exploitation and slavery.
I am actively involved in research with matters connected to domestic violence and abuse and provide guidance and support to community safety partnerships and organisations supporting victims and survivors.
My expertise is in investigation, specifically major serious and organised crime, multi-agency working and developing working practices.
I am the programme leader for the UG provision and teach a number of modules within the MSc Criminal Investigation.
Specific undergraduate modules include:
- Gender Crime and Violence
- Hate, ethnicity and Crime
- Policing and Society
- Miscarriages of Justice
Specific MSc modules include:
- Criminal Investigation 1 and 3
- Serious Crime
Other teaching responsibilities
- GLA - Modern day slavery
I support the policing pathways and assist in delivery for a number of subject matters relating to investigation.
- Proffessionalising investigation
- Multi agency partnerships
- Domestic Homicide Reviews
- Miscarriages of Justice
- International Investigations
- supporting victims
- Investigating crime
- Risk assessment and management
- Sexual offences
- Domestic violence and abuse
- Domestic Homicide
- Restorative Justice
- Protection of vulnerable people
- FHEA - Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy
- Expert Witness institute
- PG Cert Ed
- British Society of Criminology National Conference (2015)
- Fly Fishing
Over 30 years policing experience within crime investigation, I retired from the Derbyshire Constabulary as Detective Chief Superintendent, Head of Crime responsible for all crime matters and the following departments; Public protection, including domestic violence, child abuse, dangerous persons management, child sexual exploitation; Major crime (Homicide); Serious and Organised crime including financial investigation; Force Intelligence Bureau and the Forensic services.
Following retirement I worked in Northern Ireland reviewing the deaths from 'The Troubles' supporting victims families and evaluating investigations.
I currently conduct Domestic Homicide Reviews, serious Case Reviews, MAPPA reviews throughout the UK and am actively involved supporting families whose loved ones have died in questionable circumstances.
Subject matter expert in Homicide and Criminal Investigation
- BBC Crimewatch Special (2011)
- BBC Inside Out East Midlands special - regional police collaboration (2011)
- A Town and Country Murder - Crime Investigation Channel (2011)
- Channel 4 - Manchester's Serial Killer (2016)
- BBC Inside Out East Midlands - Investigation into Death in Goa (2016)