Dr Suha Shakkour
Position: Lecturer in Sociology
College: College of Business, Law and Social Sciences
Department: Law, Criminology and Social Sciences
Subject area: Social Science
Research Centre: Centre for Society, Religion and Belief
I have been a Senior Lecturer in Sociology at the University of Derby since January 2012. During that time, I have taught a number of undergraduate classes, supervised dissertation students, and second-supervised PhD students. I have also had the opportunity to build on my research in the field of migration, with special reference to religious and ethnic minorities.
I currently teach a number of undergraduate modules, including 'Race' and Ethnicity; Religious and Ethnic Minorities, Sociological Research Methods, and Placement for Employability.
My research focuses on International Migration, with special reference to religious and ethnic minorities. More specifically, I am interested in the experiences of Palestinians at home and in the diaspora, with particular emphasis on integration, religion, and gender. I am also a member of the Human Trafficking Research Cluster at the University of Derby.
I am a member of the Centre for Palestine Studies at SOAS, and the Royal Geographic Society (with IBG).
- BA (Hons) Sociology , University of Western Ontario
- MA Sociology, University of Western Ontario
- PhD Human Geography (Christian Palestinians in Britain), University of St Andrews
- 2016 Still a Palestinian. In Y. Suleiman (Ed.), Being Palestinian. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press
- 2015 Return to Palestine. In A. Terry, A. Maddrell, and T. Gale (Eds.), Sacred Mobilities. London: Ashgate
- 2015 Edited Volume, Digital Methodologies in the Sociology of Religion. London: Bloomsbury (with Cheruvallil-Contractor, S.).
- February 18, 2016: ‘Integration and the role of Arabic Churches in London.’ University of Salzburg. Centre for the Study of Eastern Christianity. Salzburg
- May 28, 2015: ‘Negotiating Boundaries as a Triple Minority: Experiences of Education among Christian Palestinian Women’. University of Derby. Faith and Feminism Conference, Derby (Invited)
- October 21, 2014: ‘Belonging in Britain’. University of Lodz. DIMECCE Conference. From Immigrants to Citizens? Middle Eastern Christian Identities in Europe, Lodz
- April 1, 2014: ‘Revisiting “Home”’. The University of St Andrews. Institute of Middle East, Central Asia and Caucasus Studies (MECACS) Research Seminar Series, St Andrews (Invited)
- September 2, 2011: ‘Return to Palestine’. Royal Geographic Society (with IBG) Annual International Conference, London (Invited)
- September 2, 2010: ‘The Arabic Churches in London’. Royal Geographic Society (with IBG) Annual International Conference, London