Dr Sue Smith
Position: Coaching and management development
College: College of Business
Department: Corporate Learning
Subject area: Business and Management, Coaching
I am Programme Lead for a couple of programmes on business management. I bring my operational experience as a practitioner, combined with my academic experience to support professionals in developing their own skills through work-based learning programmes.
My key interests are in workplace coaching, management development, leadership and personal development.
- Programme Leader for the CIPP MSc in Business and Reward Management
- Teach the Research Methodologies and Independent Studies modules for this programme
- Programme Leader for the CIPP BA (Hons) Applied Business and Management
- Teach on the Research Methodologies and Work Based Investigation modules for this programme
- Teach on the Signalling Solutions Ltd MA in Professional Development (Business Management), Appreciating Skills for Career Development.
- Associate Lecturer for University of Derby and De Montfort University
- Founding Director for S2UK Limited, a professional development and training company
- Learning and Development for A&N Media (DMGT)
- Senior Business Consultant for Dove Nest Group
- Portfolio Manager for Accenture
- Training Manager for Stagecoach Bus UK.
Doctorate of Education in Business Coaching: Research into the success and failure of Internal Coaching in the workplace.
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- Fellow of the Chartered Management Institute (FCMI)
- Chartered Manager of the Chartered Management Institute (CMgr)
- Registered with the International Regulator of Coaching and Mentoring (IRCM)
- Deputy Chair of the Women in Management (WiM) (2009-2010).
- Doctorate of Education in Business Coaching
- Postgraduate Certificate in Work Based Learning
- Advanced Professional Diploma in Employment Law
- International Diploma of Professional Coaching
- Advance Award in Tutoring Distance Learning
- Master's Degree in Human Resource Management
- British Psychological Society Level A Testing
- Bachelor of Education Honours Degree.
- Smith, S. (2015) Internal Coaching: critical reflections on success and failure in workplace coaching. EdD Thesis. University of Derby
- Smith, S., Dupernex, S. (2015) The Development of A Best Practice Internal Coaching Framework, Critical Perspectives on Business Management. July (4) 23-39
- Smith, S. (2015) I'd Love to But... First Press Publishing. Vancouver, Canada
- Smith, S. (2016) Time to Spring Clean with Internal Coaching, People Management (Submitted for publication)
- Smith, S., Dupernex, S. (2016) Using a Blended Style of Coaching, International Journal of Evidence Based Coaching and Mentoring (submitted for publication).
- Smith, S (2016) The Ethical Benefits of Coaching Professional Bodies, Researcher Bulletin (Submitted for publication).
- Oxford Brookes University - EdD Colloquium. 'National and International Perspectives on Education'. June 2014
- University of Derby 5th Annual Professional Conference. 'Professionalism and Knowledge'. May 2014
- British Education Research Association (BERA) Annual Conference. September 2011
- Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH) Training Forum. November 2011.
I am a Masters England International squash player and enjoy competing all over the world. I have competed in Hong Kong, USA, Germany, Sweden, Czech, the Netherlands and Canada. I have a dog called Buddy.
- Provided pro bono mentoring for a middle manager who wanted to progress
- Provided coaching for senior managers in a health practice, to develop their managerial and leadership skills
- Developed from concept to gain approval for a blended Leadership Development Programme, aimed at accelerating the development of middle managers to senior managers within 2 years, for the banking industry
- Partnered in two Welfare to Work programmes aiming to create social mobility, reduce poverty and tackle 'worklessness' by coaching people back to work, remain in a job and progress
- Advised and supported HR Business Partners to deliver a smooth programme and improve stakeholder relationships on Graduate schemes within the banking business
- Coached, mentored and advised senior managers in strategic and operational activities within an engineering business.
- Supported and advised teachers in a developing primary school in The Gambia on teaching skills and planning (2004).