Position: Senior Lecturer and Programme Leader
College: College of Business, Law and Social Sciences
Department: Derby Business School
Subject area: Marketing and Operations
Research Centre: Centre for Supply Chain Improvement
I am the programme leader for the MSc Supply Chain Improvement and the BSc (Hons) ITMB (Information Technology Management for Business) programmes. I lead various modules, with specialist subject knowledge and experience in Supply Chain Operations, Business Improvement Methods and Leadership.
I have a passion for business improvement with knowledge developed through many years’ experience working with commercial and public sector organisations, designing and managing learning solutions which apply the learning direct to the work place for significant business impact.
My work with such organisations also enables the curriculum of my on campus modules and programmes to be informed and current, which gives students the opportunity to develop skills and knowledge for enhanced employability and level of business acumen.
I continue to develop modules which incorporate the use of digital technology to enhance the learning experience of the student, examples include the use of innovative computer business simulation software, lecture capturing systems and making short films.
I am a Chartered Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Transport and Logistics and Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
- Programme Leader: MSc Supply Chain Improvement
- Programme Leader: BSc (Hons) ITMB (Information Technology Management for Business)
- Course Leader: Systems Thinking in Service Organisations
- Module leader at PG and UG levels.
- Leadership & Management
- Operational Management
- Systems Thinking and Business Improvement methods
- Supply Chain Improvement and Operations
- Quality Management.
Application of methods to improve the levels of service to customers and consumers in Supply Chain and Public Sectors.
Supply Chain and the alignment of business improvement concepts, values and commitment and how these link to organisational leadership and strategy development.
- Chartered Fellow of CILT (Chartered Institute of Transport & Logistics)
- Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply
- Fellow of HEA (Higher Education Academy)
- Currently undertaking a Doctoral study
- Certificate of Education
- Marshall, J., and Smith, S. (2008) 'Learning Organisations and Organisational Learning: What Have We Learned?
- The 8th International Conference on Knowledge, Culture and Change Management Cambridge August 2008, International Journal of Knowledge, Culture and Change Management Vol 8 2008.
- Smith, S., Gallimore, H. (2015) A Conceptual Framework for Service Improvement and Business Sustainability in Last Mile Logistics’, paper presented to 20th Logistics Research Network, Derby, 09/09/15.
- Logistics Research Network Conference, 2015
I am passionate about business improvement and working with organisations to learn from the application of business improvement methods.
Outside of work my passion is motor racing and running. I am a championship winning driver and regularly compete in 5k, 10k and half marathon events.
My current role includes working and liaising with many organisations, many within the Supply Chain and Logistics Sector, including significant experience in the area of business improvement.
Prior to working within an academic environment, I was a senior manager in the semiconductor industry, a role which included the day to management of people, a whole engineering function, project management and working closely with operations and process development. This significant industrial and management experience is drawn upon today, during teaching, subject development, commercial development and research.
Over my career to date I have visited various organisations in different countries for work activities. These include Singapore, America, Bangladesh, France and Italy.
I also have a depth of experience teaching students from many different parts of the world.
I am occasionally interviewed for local BBC radio.