Professor Sebastian Blackie
Position: Programme Leader MA ADAPT
College: College of Arts
Department: Art and Design
Subject area: Art and Design
I am the Programme Leader for the interdisciplinary masters in art and design.
Image shows professor Blackie discussing his research with the Art in Place and Time research group at NN Contemporary Arts Northampton project space. Eight artists with very divers practices were selected by curators Graham Keddie and Spencer Graham to respond to the theme One Meter Measured.
- Ceramic specialist
- Active artist/designer/freelance writer
- Recently selected by Bond Street Gallery Erskine, Hall and Coe to represent them at Collect art fair, Saatchi Gallery, London. SOFA art fair New York. Erskine, Hall and Coe Summer Exhibition, SOFA Chicago
- Commissioned by Ceramic Review Magazine to write book review: Olsen Kiln Book and exhibition review: 'Slipped' Wysing Arts, Cambridgeshire.
Current research interest is focused on landscape. Member of Digital and Material Arts Research Centre (D-MARC) and Identity, Conflict and Representation Research Centre (ICR) research groups. APT research group, Northampton University.
UK consultant: Fu Ping conference
Consultant to Open Futures a skills and enquiry-based curriculum development programme; a charity established by the Helen Hamlyn trust.
- Dip AD 3D Design, Farnham School of Art
- ATC, Goldsmiths University of London
- Olsen Kiln Book, book review, Ceramic Review (Jan/Feb)
- Slipped, exhibition review, Ceramic Review (Jan/Feb
- Sara Flynn, catalogue essay. Erskine, Hall and Coe
- Elspeth Owen, catalogue essay. The Oxford Ceramic Gallery
- Making places, Making people. Ceramic Art and Perception November 2012.
- Clayscape. Ceramic Review, November 2012
- Wolfson College Oxford, Solo, May 2011.
- University of Derby, Sustainability Festival March 2011.
- Galerie Besson Summer exhibition, Royal Arcade, London. 2010
- British Studio Ceramics, Mint Museum, North Carolyna, USA, June 2010.
- SOFA New York April 2010
- Galerie Besson, Royal Arcade, London. Contemporary Ceramics Group Feb 2010
- Clive Bowen, exhibition catalogue essay for Japan exhibitions May 2011 (St Ives gallery)
- Tokyo, Shikama Fine Arts Kyoto.
- Rioji Koie exhibition catalogue essay October 2010 Gallerie Besson
- Svien Bayer, exhibition catalogue essay Goldmark Gallery, Published October 2010 ISBN 978-1-870507-72-1.
Affective Landscapes, conference paper, University of Derby.
Confirmed future exhibitions:
- Easter Island, Myths and Popular Culture, Easter Island Museo Antropologico P. Sebastian Englert (MAPSE) + venues in Chili. September-
- North of Watford Gap -clayscape of the East Midlands. Watford Gap Service station, date to be agreed.
- Edify Lyveden New Bield, Northamptonshire, July August 2013
- Clayscapes, National Art School, Sydney, Australia 2013
Substancial experience in the creative industries with residencies/public lectures and demonstrations at the following:
- Appledor Visual Arts festival,
- Fuping world museum of contemporary ceramics, China,
- Experimental Pottery workshop, Jingdezhen, China,
- Denmark's International Ceramic Museum research centre, Guldagergaard, Zealand
- Anseong University, Korea,
- Ryoji Koie studio, Kamiyahagi, Japan,
- National Art School, Sydney, Australia,
- Ascham School, Sydney, Australia,
- Tresham College, University of Northampton, UK
- Glasgow School of Art, UK
- Sydney University's College of the Arts,
- Sturt Craft Centre,
- Manly T.A.F.E. College, Sydney
- Aichi School of Ceramics, Japan,
- Aichi University of Fine Art, Japan
- Aichi Prefecture Ceramics Museum, Japan
- La Meridiana Arts Centre, Italy,
- Glasgow School of Art,
- Ashmolean Museum Oxford, UK
- Wolfson College Oxford, UK
- V&A Museum London
Contributed to a number of books on contemporary ceramics.