Dr Roger Suthren
Position: Senior Lecturer in Geology
Subject area: Geology
I am the Programme Leader for BSc (Hons) Geology and the Subject Leader for BSc Joint Honours Geology, Environmental Hazards.
- Geological fieldwork,
- Geological and Environmental Hazards,
- Petroleum Geology.
I also develop online learning resources, including virtual fieldwork.
Geology and Earth Sciences. Various areas of Geology, including volcanoes, sediments and sedimentary rocks, geological hazards, and the geology of the Languedoc region, southern France. Earth science education, for formal courses and for the general public. I have a particular interest in computer-aided learning in geoscience.
Various aspects of Sedimentology and Volcanology. Current projects include fluvial-deltaic sedimentology in the Upper Carboniferous of Derbyshire.
- Fellow of the Geological Society of London;
- Member of the Geological Society of America;
- Member of the Petroleum Exploration Society of Great Britain;
- Member of the Geologists' Association.
- BA (Hons) Geology, University of Oxford
- PhD on volcanology & sedimentology of Ordovician rocks in the Lake District, Keele University
- University of Bergen, Norway: Ordovician volcanism in Western Norway, 1977-78
- City of London Polytechnic: Ordovician volcanism, 1979-80
- Suthren, R.J., Fowler, M.B. & Guion, P.D. 2006 Terroir, wine and geoscience fieldwork education in Languedoc-Roussillon, southern France In Macqueen, R.W. and Meinert, L.D. (eds.): Fine Wine and Terroir, The Geoscience Perspective. Geoscience Canada Reprint Series 9, 233-246
Radio interviews following the earthquakes in Lincolnshire (February 2008), L'Aquila in Italy (2009), Haiti (2010), and the Icelandic volcano eruption of spring 2010.