Position: Programme Leader, MSc Occupational Therapy (pre-registration)
College: College of Health and Social Care
Department: Therapeutic Practice
Subject area: Occupational Therapy
As programme leader for the MSc Occupational Therapy (pre-registration) programme, I am privileged to be able to work with an enthusiastic and motivated group of graduate students, who are embarking upon a career as an Occupational Therapist. My role includes co-ordination of all aspects of the programme, and providing support and guidance to students throughout their studies.
I am supported by a team of around 20 lecturers / senior lecturers in Occupational Therapy, who deliver the programme, as well as Practice Placement Educators who support our students during their placements.
I teach across both the BSc and the MSc pre-registration Occupational Therapy programmes, as well as contributing to inter-professional learning opportunities for students across Health and Social care programmes at the University.
Mental Health, Dementia, Older Adults.
- Student Experiences of using a blog as a reflective learning tool in an Occupational Therapy Practice Placement
- Supporting new Practice Placement Educators in supervising Occupational Therapy Students on Practice Placement
- Using mobile devices in practice settings to improve the student employability
- The lived experiences of young people in their adjustment to parenthood.
- Registered as an Occupational Therapist with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
- Professional member of the British Association of Occupational Therapists (BAOT)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- BSc (Hons) Occupational Therapy
- Postgraduate Certificate in Teaching and Learning
- MSc Occupational Therapy
- Burgess, S., Humphries, R (2015) Developing an e-presence within the OT Profession. OT News. February 2015
- Burgess, S, Humphries R (2016) Developing an e-presence within the OT Profession (Poster) presented at COTEC-ENOTHE Conference, Galway. June 2016
- Burgess, S., Humphries, R (2015) Developing an e-presence within the OT Profession - workshop delivered at the AOTI Conference, Galway. April 2015
- Humphries R, Burgess S, Bell C (2014) Developing an e-presence within the Occupational Therapy Profession. OT4OT 24 Hour virtual exchange: 4th November 2014
- Humphries, R., Burgess, S., Bell, C. (2014) ‘Developing an e-presence within the occupational therapy profession’. Poster presented at: Learning and Teaching Conference. 2nd July. University of Derby: Buxton
- Burgess, S., Humphries, R., Bell, C, (2014) ‘Digital Creativity with Google Sites – ePortfolios using real word tools, real world practice’. Masterclass delivered at: Learning and Teaching Conference. 2nd July. University of Derby Buxton
- Bradley, H., Cooper, H., Humphries, R. (2013) ‘The use of mobile devices to support learning on Practice Placement’. Paper presented at: College of Occupational Therapists 37th Annual Conference and Exhibition, 18th-20th June. Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre, Glasgow
- Humphries, R. (2012) ‘An Evaluation of a Reflective Workshop for New Practice Placement Educators’. Poster presented at: College of Occupational Therapists 37th Annual Conference and Exhibition, 12th-14th June. Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre, Glasgow
- Humphries, R (2012) ‘Supporting new Occupational Therapy Practice Placement Educators to supervise students on placement’. Promoting Quality in Practice Education. Paper presented at: National Association of Educators in Practice. 3rd March. University of Brighton: Eastbourne
I practiced as an Occupational Therapist within the NHS, primarily in Older Adult Mental Health services, including working in day hospital, in-patient and community settings.
I have a particular interest in working with people with dementia.