Professor Paul Lynch
Position: Head of Department of Natural Sciences
College: College of Life & Natural Sciences
Department: Natural Sciences
Subject area: Biological Sciences
Head of the Department of Natural Sciences
Chair of the University of Derby Professoriate
Head of the Environmental Sustainability Research Centre
My teaching focuses on plant biology and conservation
Plant biology; plant biotechnology; plant conservation; and cryopreservation.
I am plant biotechnologist with a long-standing interest in the culture and manipulation of plant cells and tissue under in vitro conditions. My current research is focused on the use of biotechnology for plant conservation, particularly cryopreservation and the use of plant biotechnology in environmental science.
- Member of the executive committee of the Heads of University Biosciences - a Special Interest Group of the Royal Society of Biology
- Trustee of the Derbyshire Wildlife Trust
- Society for Low Temperature Biology - Treasurer (1996-1999); Secretary (2002-2005)
- International Association of Plant Tissue Culture and Biotechnology
- BSc (Hons) Botany, University of Liverpool
- PhD Plant and Fungal Biotechnology, University of Liverpool
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Lynch, P.T., Siddika A., Johnston, J.W., Trigwell S.M. Mehra A. Benelli C., Lambardi M. and Benson E.E. (2011) Effects of osmotic pretreatments on oxidative stress, antioxidant profiles and cryopreservation of olive somatic embryos. Plant Sci. 181: 47-56
- Lynch P.T., Souch G.R. and Harding K. (2013) Effects of post-harvest storage of Allium sativum bulbs on the cryopreservation of stem-discs by encapsulation/dehydration. Journal of Horticultural Science and Biotechnology 87: 588-592.
- Chan L., Mehra A., Saikat S. and Lynch P.T. (2013) Human exposure assessment of fluoride from tea (Camellia sinensis L.): A UK based issue? Food Research International 51: 564-570.
- Lynch P.T. Siddika A. Mehra A., Benelli C. and Lambardi M. (2014) Cryopreservation of quince (Cydonia oblonga Mill.). CryoLett. 35: 188-196.
- Lynch, P.T., Souch G.R., Harding, K. (2015) Effects of Post-harvest Quality and Storage on the Cryopreservation of Allium sativum In Vitro Cultures by Encapsulation/Dehydration. ESBB Annual Conference Sept 2015.
- Lynch, P.T., Souch G.R., Harding, K. (2015) Optimisation of Cryopreservation for the Conservation of Allium sativum In Vitro Cultures by Encapsulation/Dehydration. ESBB Annual Conference Sept 2015.
- Lynch, P.T., Souch G.R., Harding, K. (2014) Optimisation of Cryopreservation for the Conservation of Allium sativum In Vitro Cultures by Encapsulation/Dehydration. SLTB 50th Anniversary Conference, Royal Botanic Gardens at Kew, October 2014.
- Grapin A., Keller E.R.J., Lynch P.T., Pansi B., Revilla Bahillo A. and Engelmann F. (2012) Cryopreservation of crop species in Europe. Proceedings of the final meeting of COST 871, CryoPlanet. Publications Office of the European Union
- Panis B. and Lynch P.T. (eds) (2011) Proceedings of the First International Symposium on Cryopreservtaion in Horticultural Species. Acta Horticultutae 908. International Society for Horticultural Science
Membership of journal editorial boards:
- Associate editor Journal of Horticultural Science and Biotechnology (April 2005 - present)
- Past member of the editorial board of Cryo-Letters
- Past member of the editorial board of Cryobiology
Research Student Supervisions
M. Davidson - Biotechnological approaches for the improvement of quince (PhD 1999).
X. Luan - Bacteria associated with late onset asthma (PhD 2000).
C.A.L. Brady - Plant metabolism of xenobiotics (MPhil 2002).
T.W. Swan - In vitro plant cultures as biomonitors of xenobiotic chemicals (PhD 2004).
L. Brewin - Elucidation of the mechanisms of copper tolerance in Sea Thrift (A. maritima) (PhD 2005).
M. Al-Majathoub - Development of cryopreservation approaches for the conservation of strawberry germplasm (PhD completed 2005).
G. Souch - Cryopreservation of Allium spp. (PhD completed 2006).
A. Siddika - In Vitro Conservation of Woody Fruit Tree Species (PhD completed 2007)
L. Chan - Human exposure assessment of fluoride from tea (Camellia sinensis L.) with specific reference to bioaccessibity. (PhD completed 2014)
G. Arumugan - Cryopreservation of medicinally important herbaceous Malaysian plant species based at University Putra Malaysia
- University of Nottingham: Transfer cytoplasmic male sterility into commercial US rice varieties (Farms of Texas) 1987-1989
- University of Nottingham: Rice genetic manipulation (Rockefeller Foundation Postdoctoral Fellowship, Rice Biotechnology Programme) 1989-1993
Numerous stories about cryopreservation and plant biotechnology and more recently flouride in tea