Position: Acting Head of Accounting
College: College of Business
Department: Derby Business School
Subject area: Accounting and Finance
My role at Derby is multifaceted, combining research, teaching and learning, management and leadership and governance.
My current research activity is in partnership with the International Centre for Guidance Studies (iCeGS) at the University of Derby. I am part of the Gatsby Benchmark evaluation project research team, responsible for the financial evaluation of implementing career guidance benchmarks in schools.
As interim Head of Accounting I lead a team of passionate and dedicated professionals. We provide a suit of Accounting & Finance programmes designed to enable students to have choice; flexibility; opportunity to progress from undergraduate to post graduate/professional study and ultimately enjoy a rewarding career in an accounting profession of their choosing. The team comprises of professionally qualified accountants (CIMA, ACCA, CIPFA, and ICAEW) who bring industry experience and many years of teaching, learning and assessment experience in Higher Education and Professional Accountancy Programmes. We maintain currency and relevance through continuing professional development, strong relationships with Professional Accounting Bodies and our regional employers. Thus we deliver our subject discipline with passion and confidence.
In addition I am a staff member of the Governing Council and play an active role in the strategic direction of the university and the HE sector.
I have substantial experience in teaching a range of modules from accounting for non-accounting students to teaching professional accounting qualifications. Some of the modules I have taught are shown below
- Introduction to Financial Accounting (Level 4)
- Management Accounting (Level 5)
- Financial Management (Level 5)
- Financial Strategy (Level 6)
- Corporate Reporting (Level 7)
- Mergers and Acquisitions (Level 7)
- Advanced Financial Management (Level 7)
- Financial Management F2 (CIMA)
- Financial Strategy F3 (CIMA)
- Financial Reporting F7 (ACCA)
- Financial Management F9 (ACCA).
I undertake Undergraduate and postgraduate independent studies dissertation supervision and I am also currently part of a number of PhD supervision packages.
My experience extends to work I have carried out with a number of international collaborative partners, independent education/training institutions and companies in the private and public sector.
COMMERCIAL ACTIVIY: (delivering finance to non-financial managers)
- Feb 2011 – JCB
- Dec 2011 – Marley Eternit
- March 2012 – Marley Eternit
- Sept 2012 – Derby City Council
I recently applied and was selected to partake in the Aurora Women in Leadership Programme. Shortly after completing this programme I landed my current role (interim Head of Accounting), a strategic leadership and management role within which I also research, programme lead for MSc Accounting and Finance, MSc Financial Leadership and Masters in Accounting and Finance (Integrated Masters degree), and also teach at a Senior Lecturer level.
I hold a BSc in Accounting and Finance and whilst working in the private sector I became a qualified Management Accountant and am a member of the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants.
Whilst in Higher Education (HE) I have become a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA). Prior to joining HE I worked as a Senior Business Analyst, in London for BT plc.
My professional interest are closely aligned to my subject discipline and the changing nature of this discipline and perhaps more importantly how HE aligns itself and delivers to both the ever changing nature of the accountancy profession and the needs of the employer/market.
My research interest lie in investigating accounting practices within SMEs, family owned businesses and across international borders. In particular, focusing on Capital Budgeting and Governance Structure (at company level).
I am currently undertaking action research to provide a financial evaluation for organisations in the tertiary sector.
- BSc (Hons) Accounting and Finance
- Johal, P. and Vickerstaff, B. (2012) Financial Accounting, Routledge, London.
- Hanson,J, Johal, P and Crighton,B (2013) ‘Ethnic Minority Business in Derby: A needs gap analysis’, paper to be presented at the twenty seventh BAM Annual Conference, 10th-12th September, Liverpool
- Johal, P (2013) 'Capital budgeting process and practice: A developed versus emerging country', paper presented at the forty ninth BAFA Annual Conference, 9th-11th April, Newcastle
- Johal, P (2012) ‘Comparing Capital Budgeting Practices in the UK and Emerging Markets’, IMRA (International Management Research Academy) International Conference, 17th-18th May, London.
My family and sport. I spend most of my free time on the netball court.
Following my time in the private sector with BT plc and my transfer to HE, I have maintained a level of input to the industry through a combination of commercial activity and voluntary activity such as trustee board member role / governor roles.
- Karl de Gote Hogeschool , Antwerp,
- Trivandrum college in Kerela, India
- Inter college Tel Aviv, Israel.
- Malawi Institute of Management, Malawi.
- Botswana Accountancy College, Botswana.