Mr Oliver Tomlinson
Position: Senior Lecturer in Geography
College: College of Life & Natural Sciences
Department: Natural Sciences
Subject area: Geoscience
I am a senior lecturer in Geography and am the Programme Leader for BSc (Hons) Geography and Subject Leader for Joint Honours Geography.
My subject specialisms are cartography, photogrammetry, remote sensing & GIS - theory and application. I am also responsible for teaching students how to survey with both GPS and total station systems. I primarily work with undergraduate and postgraduate students in geography, geology, environmental hazards and ecology.
I act in an advisory, training and/or consultancy capacity for SMEs and charitable organisations etc. in the use / adoption of GIS and related technologies (such as GPS) and/or aid them in getting the most out of their existing geospatial data or how to collect and use such data.
I have worked in a consultancy capacity as part of a team that undertook client based flood risk assessments in relation to site planning applications. My responsibilities here were in detailed surveying of site elevations and generation of detailed DEMs of sites such that flood risk assessments could be modelled in each case.
Past and current research interested have largely been around the use / application of GIS. I have participated in wide ranging studies, from working for the ODPM in terms of mapping allotments and their attributes across Britain to looking at the relationships between aspects of health, census and deprivation data to better help inform local health care practitioners.
My current research interests are focused on the Argan tree (argana spinosa) of Southern Morocco. I am currently involved in mapping its distribution in the Souss-Massa plain, looking at the pressures it faces, how its distribution has changed over time and how it can be better protected for the benefit of all.
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA).
- BSc (Hons) Geography and Biology, Oxford Polytechnic
- MSc GIS, University of Nottingham
- PG Cert Professional Practice in Education, University of Derby
- Secretary of the Derbyshire Geographical Association (A formal GA branch).
- I helped set up an international study abroad exchange opportunity for University of Derby Geoscience students and equivalent students at the University of Windsor (Ontario, CA) and Eastern Michigan University (Michigan, USA).
- Many years of experience of undertaking research and leading student fieldwork in Morocco.