Dr Nel Beaumont
Position: Senior Lecturer
College: College of Life & Natural Sciences
- Senior Lecturer
- Subject Leader for Joint Honours Biology and Zoology
- Module leaderships
- Level 4: Invasion of the Land
- Level 5: Vertebrate Biology
- Level 7: Identification for Conservation Biology.
- Individual photo-identification of seals and other mammals
- Wildlife conservation education.
- BSc. (Hons) Biochemistry, University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England.
- PhD in Biochemisty, University of Glasgow, Scotland.
- TEFL certificate, Tokyo Language Arts College, Japan.
- Master of Science (with distinction) in Marine Mammal Science, University of Bangor, Wales.
- Postgraduate Certificate in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education, University of Derby, England.
- Postgraduate Certificate of Achievement in Academic Practice in Research, University of Derby, England.
Beaumont, E. S., Mudd, P., Turner, I. J., and Barnes, K. (2016) Cetacean frustration: The representation of whales and dolphins in picture books for young children. Early Childhood Education Journal doi:10.1007/s10643-016-0819-5
Mikhaylov, N., Fierro, I., and Beaumont, E. (2016) The influences of capital development strategies choice on international management students' collaborative knowledge creation: Turkey and Ecuador. International Technology, Education and Development 2016 Proceedings, 7682 - 7691. DOI 10.21125/inted.2016.0815
Beaumont, E. S., and Wilkinson, A.-S. (2015) I am really ever so not good at graph drawing: The Charlie and Lola approach to Lineweaver-Burk plots. The Chemical Educator, 20: 1-2.
Glavaschi, A., and Beaumont, E. S. (2014) The escape behaviour of wild Greek tortoises Testudo graeca with an emphasis on geometrical shape discrimination. Basic and Applied Herpetology, 28: 21 - 33.
Turner, I. J., and Beaumont, E. S. (2013) Lonely heart columns: A novel and entertaining way of teaching students abstract writing skills. Innovative Practice in Higher Education, 1(3).
Beaumont, E. S., Rowe, G., and Mikhaylov, N. S. (2012) Promoting interactive learning: A classroom exercise to explore foraging strategies. Bioscience Education, 19. DOI 10.11120/beej.2012.19000008.
Beaumont, E. S., Zárate, P., Zardus, J. D., Dutton, P. H., and Seminoff, J. A. (2008) Epibiont occurrence in Galapagos green turtles (Chelonia mydas) at nesting and feeding grounds. NOAA Technical Memo NMFS SEFSC, 569: 8.
Zardus, J. D., Zárate, P., and Beaumont, E.S. (2008) Benign buddies and harmful hitchhikers: Consequences of the connection of barnacles with sea turtles. NOAA Technical Memo NMFS SEFSC, 569: 34.
Zárate, P., Beaumont, E. S., Dutton, P. H., and Seminoff, J. A. (2008) Comparing the impact of native and introduced predators on green turtle (Chelonia mydas) hatchlings in the Galapagos Islands, Ecuador. NOAA Technical Memo NMFS SEFSC, 569: 116.
Pemberton, E., Parris, C., Walters, R., David, C., David, K., Walters, A., Barret, A., Anslyn, A., Isles, S., Percival, A., Kelly, O., and Beaumont, E. (2008) Preliminary assessment of hawksbill sea turtle (Eretmochelys imbricata) beach usage in Nevis, West Indies. NOAA Technical Memo NMFS SEFSC 567: 146.
Beaumont, E.S., and Goold, J. C. (2007) Cheap and accessible method to aid individual photo-identification of grey seals, Halichoerus grypus. Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom. 87(5590): 1 - 7.
Beaumont, N. (2007) Talking rubbish: Environmental pollution by plastics. JMBA Global Marine Environment, 28.
Walker, D., McHenry, M., Hickey, R., Clemente, S., and Beaumont, E. S. (2005) Mapping cetacean biodiversity in the Bay of Biscay. European Research on Cetaceans 19. Proceedings of the 19th Annual Conference of the European Cetacean Society. La Rochelle, France. European Cetacean Society.
Harrison, E., Tröeng, S., Arancibia, C., Astorga, M., Beaumont, N., Berdie, I., Blanvillain, G., Decastro, N., Richards, A., Trott, S., and Rankin, E. (2002) Report on the 2002 Leatherback Program at Tortuguero, Costa Rica. Annual report to Caribbean Conservation Corporation, the Ministry of Environment and Energy of Costa Rica, and Care For the Wild International.
Clarkeburn, H., Beaumont, E., Downie, R., and Reid, N. (2000) Teaching biology students transferable skills. Journal of Biological Education, 34: 133 - 137.
Lindsay, H., Beaumont, E., Richards, S. D., Kelly, S. M., Sanderson, S. J., Price, N. C., and Lindsay, J. G. (2000) FAD insertion is essential for attaining the assembly competence of the dihydrolipoamide dehydrogenase (E3) monomer from Escherichia coli, Journal of Biological Chemistry 275(47): 36665 - 36670.
Beaumont, E. and Reid, N. (1999) Bringing work experience to undergraduates. Education in Chemistry, 36: 23 - 24.
Beaumont, E. (1997) Air, Land and Water, Interactive Teaching Unit, Centre for Science Education, University of Glasgow Press.
Beaumont, E. (1997) A problem of production. Interactive Teaching Unit, Centre for Science Education, Univeristy of Glasgow Press.
West, S. M., Rice, J. E., Beaumont, E. S., Kelly, S. M., Price, N. C., and Lindsay, J. G. (1995) Dissociation and unfolding of the pyruvate dehydrogenase complex by guanidinium chloride. Biochemical Journal, 308: 1025 - 1029.
- Japanese language study
- Spanish language study
- 2007 - 2008: Universidad Especialidades, Espíruitu Santo, Ecuador
- 2006 - 2007: Charles Darwin Research Station, Ecuador
- 2003 - 2004: Nevis Turtle Group, St. Kitts and Nevis
- 2003: Ocean Spirits, Grenada
- 2002 - 2003: Centro Ecológico Akumal, Mexico
- 2002: Department of the Environment, Cayman Islands
- 2002: Caribbean Conservation Corporation, Costa Rica
- 1999 - 2002: Eisai Co., Ltd., Japan
- 1998 - 1999: M.Y.U. K. K. Research, Japan
- 1997 - 1998: Nova, Japan.