Professor Lu Liu
Position: Professor of Distributed Computing
College: College of Engineering and Technology
Department: Computing and Mathematics
Subject area: Computing
Research Centre: Distributed and Intelligent Systems Centre for Research and Technology Transfer
Prof. Lu Liu is the Professor of Distributed Computing at the University of Derby, UK. Prof. Liu joined the University of Derby as a Senior Lecturer and became the Reader in Distributed Computing two years later. Prior to this, he was a Lecturer in the School of Engineering and Information Sciences at Middlesex University, London, UK. Prof. Liu worked as a Research Fellow of the WRG e-Science Centre at Leeds University on the EPSRC/BAE funded NECTISE Project and the CoLaB Project which was jointly funded by the EPSRC and the China-863 Program.
Prof. Liu received his PhD degree from University of Surrey (funded by DIF DTC) and MSc in Data Communication Systems from Brunel University. Prof. Liu's research interests are in areas of cloud computing, service computing, Big Data analytics, peer-to-peer computing and social computing. Prof. Liu has over 120 scientific publications in reputable journals (e.g. IEEE Transactions on Computers, IEEE Transactions on Service Computing, ACM Transactions on Embedded Computing Systems), academic books and international conferences. Prof. Liu has secured many research projects which are supported by UK research councils, BIS and leading UK industries. Prof. Liu was recognised as a Promising Researcher by University of Derby in 2011 and received BCL Faculty Research Award in 2012.
Prof. Liu serves as an Editorial Board member of 6 international journals and the Guest Editor for 5 international journals. He has chaired over 20 international conference workshops and presently or formerly serves as the program committee member for over 50 international conferences and workshops. He is a Fellow of BCS (British Computer Society).
- Network Management Concepts
- Advanced Network Switching
- Distributed Networks
- Data Management and Business Intelligence
- Cloud Computing
- Big Data Analytics
- Peer-to-peer Computing
- Service Computing
- Internet of Things
- Social Computing
- Green Computing
- Wireless Sensor Networks
- System of Systems Engineering
- Complex Networks
- Artificial Intelligence
Fellow of British Computer Society
- MSc Data Communication Systems, Brunel University, UK
- Post Graduate Certificate in Higher Education (PGCertHE), Middlesex University, UK
- PhD on Data Discovery and Delivery Architecture, University of Surrey, UK
· Xiaoyu Yang, Lu Liu, (eds.) Principles, Methodologies, and Service-Oriented Approaches for Cloud Computing, IGI Global, January 2013.DOI: 10.4018/978-1-4666-2854-0.
Selected Journal Papers
· Lu Liu*, Nick Antonopoulos, Minghui Zheng, Yongzhao Zhan, Zhijun Ding, A Socio-ecological Model for Advanced Service Discovery in Machine-to-Machine Communication Networks, ACM Transactions on Embedded Computing, in press, 2016.
· Yan Wu, Chungang Yan, Lu Liu*, Zhijun Ding and ChangJun Jiang*, An Adaptive Multilevel Indexing Method for Disaster Service Discovery, IEEE Transactions on Computers, Vol 64(9), September 2015. DOI: 10.1109/TC.2014.2378273
· Jie Xu, Dacheng Zhang, Lu Liu*, Xianxian Li, Dynamic Authentication for Cross-Realm SOA-Based Business Processes, IEEE Transactions on Service Computing, Vol 5(1), March 2012, pp. 20-32. ISSN:1939-1374. DOI:10.1109/TSC.2010.33
· Xiangjun Shen, Lu Liu, PeiYing Gu, ZhongQiu Jiang, JiMing Chen, John Panneerselvam, Achieving Dynamic Load Balancing through Mobile Agents in Small World P2P Networks, Computer Networks, Elsevier, Vol 75, pp. 134-148, 2014. DOI:
· Zhiyuan Li, Rulong Chen, Lu Liu*, and Geyong Min, Dynamic Resource Discovery based on Preference and Movement Pattern Similarity for Large-Scale Social Internet-of-Things, IEEE Internet of Things, in press, 2016. DOI: 10.1109/JIOT.2015.2451138
· RTS: Road Topology Based Scheme for Traffic Condition Estimation via Vehicular Crowdsensing, Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience, in press, 2016.
· Zhiyuan Li*, Lu Liu, Ru-long Chen, Junlei Bi, An Adaptive Secure Communication Framework for Mobile Peer-to-peer Environments using Bayesian Games, Peer-to-Peer Networking and Applications, Springer, in press, 2016. DOI: 10.1007/s12083-015-0376-5
· Bo Li, Jianxin Li, Lu Liu* and Chao Zhou, Toward a Flexible and Fine-grained Access Control Framework for Infrastructure as a Service Clouds, Security and Communication Networks, Wiley, in press, 2016. DOI: 10.1002/sec.1216
· Yongzhao Zhan*, Shan Dai, Qirong Mao, Lu Liu and Wei Sheng, A Video Semantic Analysis Method Based on Kernel Discriminative Sparse Representation and Weighted KNN, The Computer Journal, Oxford University Press, in press, 2016. DOI: 10.1093/comjnl/bxu121
· Chris Howden, Lu Liu*, Zhiyuan Li, Jianxin Li, Nick Antonopoulos, Virtual Vignettes: The Acquisition, Analysis, and Presentation of Social Network Data, SCIENCE CHINA Information Sciences, Springer, Vol. 57(3), March 2014. 032104 (20). DOI: 10.1007/s11432-014-5069-9
· Lu Liu*, Andrew Jones, Nick Antonopoulos, Zhijun Ding, Yongzhao Zhan, Performance Evaluation and Simulation of Peer-to-Peer Protocols for Massively Multiplayer Online Games, Multimedia Tools and Applications, Springer, 7, April . DOI: 10.1007/s11042-013-1662-y
· Lu Liu*, Thomas Stimpson, Nick Antonopoulos, Zhijun Ding, Yongzhao Zhan, An Investigation of Security Trends in Personal Wireless Networks, Wireless Personal Communications, Springer, Vol 75(3), April 2014, pp. 1669-1687. DOI: 10.1007/s11277-013-1386-3
· Hussain Al-Aqrabi, Lu Liu*, Richard Hill, Nick Antonopoulos, Cloud BI: Future of Business Intelligence in the Cloud, Journal of Computer and System Sciences, Elsevier, Vol 81 (1), 2014, pp 85–96. DOI: 10.1016/j.jcss.2014.06.013
· Jianxin Li, Jieyu Zhao, Yi Li, Lei Cui, Bo Li, Lu Liu, John Panneerselvam, iMIG: Towards an Adaptive Live Migration Method for KVM Virtual Machines, The Computer Journal, Oxford University Press, in press, 2016. DOI: 10.1093/comjnl/bxu065
· Bo Li*, Jianxin Li, Lu Liu, CloudMon: A Resource-Efficient IaaS Cloud Monitoring System Based on NIDS Virtual Appliances, Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience, Vol 27(8), Wiley, June 2015, pp 1861–1885. DOI: 10.1002/cpe.3166
· Ahsan Ikram, Ashiq Anjum, Richard Hill, Nick Antonopoulos, Lu Liu, Stelios Sotiriadis, Approaching the Internet of Things (IoT): A Modelling, Analysis and Abstraction Framework, Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience, Wiley, Vol 27(8), 2015, pp. 1966–1984. DOI: 10.1002/cpe.3131
· Xinjun Mao*, Menggao Dong, Lu Liu and Huaiming Wang, An Integrated Approach to Developing Self-Adaptive Software in Open Environments, Journal of Information Science and Engineering, Academia Sinica, Vol 30, pp. 1071-1085, 2014.
· Bartosz Inglot, Lu Liu*, Nick Antonopoulos, Enhanced Timeline Analysis for Digital Forensic Investigations, Information Security Journal: A Global Perspective, Taylor and Francis, Vol 23 (1-2), 2014, pp 32-44. DOI: 10.1080/19393555.2014.897401.
· John Panneerselvam, Anthony Atojoko, Kim Smith, Lu Liu*, Nick Antonopoulos, A Critical Review of the Routing Protocols in Opportunistic Networks, Industrial Networks and Intelligent Systems, European Alliance for Innovation (EAI), Vol 14(1), December 2014. DOI: 10.4108/inis.1.1.e6
· Alexander Betts, Lu Liu*, Zhiyuan Li, Nick Antonopoulos, A Critical Comparative Evaluation on DHT-based Peer-to-Peer Search Algorithms, International Journal of Embedded Systems, Vol 6, No. 2/3, 2014, pp 250-256. DOI: 10.1504/IJES.2014.063823
· Lu Liu*, Don-Anthony DaSilva, Nick Antonopoulos, Zhijun Ding, Yongzhao Zhan, Achieving Green IT Using VDI in Cyber Physical Society, Journal of Internet Technology, Vol. 14 No. 3, pp.413-424, May 2013. DOI: 10.6138/JIT.2013.14.3.06
· Jianxin Li*, Yu Jia, Lu Liu, Tianyu Wo, CyberLiveApp: A Secure Sharing and Migration Approach for Live Virtual Desktop Applications in a Cloud Environment, Future Generation Computer Systems, Elsevier Science, Vol 29(1), January 2013, pp. 330-340. DOI: 10.1016/j.future.2011.08.001
· Jianxin Li*, Xudong Liu, Lu Liu, Dazhi Sun, Bo Li, HiTrust: Building Cross-organizational Trust Relationship based on a Hybrid Negotiation Tree, Telecommunication Systems, Springer, Vol 52(2), 2013, pp. 1353-1365. DOI: 10.1007/s11235-011-9648-4
· Zhenxing Liu, Lu Liu*, James Hardy, Ashiq Anjum, Richard Hill, Nick Antonopoulos, Dot-base62x: Building A Compact and User-friendly Text Representation Scheme of IPv6 Addresses for Cloud Computing, Journal of Cloud Computing, Springer, Vol 1(3), April 2012. DOI:10.1186/2192-113X-1-3
· Yongzhao Zhan*, Lu Liu, Liangmin Wang, and Yulong Shen, Wireless Sensor Networks for the Internet of Things, International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks, Volume 2013, 2013. DOI: 10.1155/2013/717125
· Lu Liu*, Osama Masfary, Nick Antonopoulos, Energy Performance Assessment of Virtualization Technologies Using Small Environmental Monitoring Sensors, Sensors, MDPI, Vol. 12(5), pp 6610-6628, May 2012. DOI:10.3390/s120506610
· Lu Liu*, Jie Xu, Nick Antonopoulos, Jianxin Li, Kaigui Wu, Adaptive Service Discovery on Service-Oriented and Spontaneous Sensor Systems, Journal of Adhoc & Sensor Wireless Networks, Old City Publishing, Vol. 14 (1-2), 2012, pp. 107-132. ISSN: 1551-9899
· Lu Liu*, Jie Xu, Duncan Russell, David Webster, Zongyang Luo,Colin Venters, & John Davies, Dynamic Service Integration for Reliable and Sustainable Capability Provision, International Journal of Systems Science, Taylor & Francis, Vol. 43(1), January 2012, pp. 79–96. DOI: 10.1080/00207721003774736
· Lu Liu*, Nick Antonopoulos, Jie Xu, David Webster, Kaigui Wu, Distributed Service Integration for Disaster Monitoring Sensor Systems, IET Communications, Vol 5(12), August 2011, pp. 1777 - 1784.DOI: 10.1049/iet-com.2010.0630
· Jianxin Li, Bo Li, Tianyu Wo, Chunming Hu, Jinpeng Huai, Lu Liu*, KP Lam, CyberGuarder: A Virtualization Security Assurance Architecture for Green Cloud Computing, Future Generation Computer Systems, Elsevier Science,Vol 28(2), February 2012, pp 379–390. DOI: 10.1016/j.future.2011.04.012
· Lu Liu*, Duncan Russell, Jie Xu, David Webster, Zongyang Luo, Colin Venters, & John Davies, Modelling and Simulation of Network Enabled Capability on Service-Oriented Architecture, Simulation Modeling Practice and Theory, Elsevier Science, Vol 17 (8), September 2009, pp 1430-1442. DOI: 10.1016/j.simpat.2009.06.012
· Lu Liu*, Jie Xu, Duncan Russell, Paul Townend, David Webster, Efficient and Scalable Search on Scale-free P2P Networks, Peer-to-Peer Networking and Applications, Springer, Vol 2(2), June 2009, pp 98 – 108. DOI: 10.1007/s12083-008-0023-5
· Lu Liu*, Nick Antonopoulos, Stephen Mackin, Jie Xu, Duncan Russell, Efficient Resource Discovery in Self-organized Unstructured Peer-to-Peer Networks, Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience, Wiley, Vol 23(2), February 2009, pp. 159-183. DOI: 10.1002/cpe.1329
· Lu Liu*, Nick Antonopoulos, Stephen Mackin, Managing Peer-to-Peer Networks with Human Tactics in Social Interactions, Journal of Supercomputing, Springer, Vol.44(3), June 2008, pp. 217-236. DOI: 10.1007/s11227-007-0156-y
· Lu Liu*, Nick Antonopoulos, Stephen Mackin, Fault-tolerant Peer-to-Peer Search on Small-World Networks, Future Generation Computer Systems, Elsevier Science,Vol. 23(8), November 2007, pp. 921-931. DOI: 10.1016/j.future.2007.03.002
· Lu Liu*, Stephen Mackin, Small Satellites and Disaster Monitoring Constellation, Aerospace China, Issue 6, June 2004, pp. 18-21.
- Organising Chair, 9th IEEE/ACM International Conference on Utility and Cloud Computing (UCC 2016), 6-9 December 2016, Shanghai, China.
- Program Chair, 10th IEEE International Conference on Service-Oriented System Engineering (IEEE SOSE 2016), 29 March – 1 April 2015, Oxford, UK.
- General Co-Chair, IEEE International Conference on Internet of People (IoP 2015), Beijing, China, 10-14 August 2015.
- Program Chair for 13th IEEE International Conference on Dependable, Autonomic and Secure Computing (IEEE DASC 2015), 26-28 October 2015, Liverpool, UK.
- Keynote, Resource Discovery in Social P2P Networks, 2015 International Workshop on Heterogeneous Wireless Networks and Quality-of-Experience, October 2015, Liverpool, UK.
- Keynote, A Socio-ecological Service Discovery Model in Machine-to-Machine Communication Networks, Cybermatics Forum, Smart Word Congres (SWC) 2015, August 2015, Beijing, China.