Dr Lovemore Nyatanga
Position: Principal Lecturer in Psychology
College: College of Life & Natural Sciences
Department: Life Sciences
Subject area: Psychology
- Principal Lecturer in Psychology
- Academic Counsellor (Psychology & CAMS)
- School International Co-ordinator
- School APL Co-ordinator.
My current teaching and administrative responsibilities are:
- Academic Counsellor for Psychology, Joint Honours Scheme the School of Health Sciences
- Module leader for Social Psychology
- Module leader for Introduction to Counselling Psychology
- Module leader for Abnormal Psychology
- Module leader for Psychology and Racism
- Teach on Lifespan Development module
- Teach on Developmental Psychology
- Teach on Introduction to Approaches in Psychology
- Independent Study Supervisor (Psychology)
- Stage 2 Leader (Psychology)
My professional interests are:
- Psychology and Racism
- Accreditation of Prior Learning (APL)
- Abnormal Psychology and Mental Illness
- Organisational Behaviour including Leadership Theories
- Professional Ethnocentrism
- Prejudice and inter-group conflict
- Empowerment and well-being
- Clinical Governance.
My research interests are:
- Assessing students progression through The Experiential Taxonomy (ET) 1988 - 1990
- Establishing an index of good practice in the Accreditation of Prior Learning (APL) November 1990 - March 1991
- Shadow visiting APL schemes in UK July 1991 - June 1992
- Investigation of academic levels & their use in assessment of professional APL portfolios 1992 - 1995 (Director of PhD Study)
- Identifying nursing, midwifery & health visiting educational needs specific to "Health of the Nation" April 1995 - September 1996
- Improving Ocorn Standards & Ambulance Zoning in Derbyshire (Research Proposal funded for £250,000 between 1995 - 1998)
- Professional Ethnocentrism: An investigation of the Social Psychology of Identity and Intergroup Behaviour (1998 - 2000)
- Empowerment in a psychiatric rehabilitation unit (2000 - 2001)
- Perceptions of community empowerment in elderly people (2002 - 2003 research project at the Bridge Centre - Nottingham)
- Perceptions of empowerment in nurses (2002 - 2004 research project) in collaboration with the International Empowerment Group.
- Development of APL Framework at the Zimbabwe Open University (2000-2003) Project pump prime funded through the British Council and DFID.
- Appointed to the Editorial Board for Nurse Education Today (1992 - )
- Appointed to the Conference Organising Committee for Nurse Education Today (Sept 1992 - )
- Chair of Nurse Education Tomorrow Conference' Planning Committee (1993 -)
- Network Editor of Nurse Education Today (1995 - ).
- Certificate in Education
- Diploma in Nursing, London
- Registered General Nurse
- Registered Mental Nurse
- MSc Psychology
- MA Research Methodology
- Nyatanga, L. (2000) Millennium Issues: a digest & way forward.Nurse Education Today, special edition, Volume 20 Number 1 pp 84 - 87
- Forman, D., and Nyatanga, L. (2001) The process of developing a research questionnaire to measure attitudes to shared learning.Medical Teacher, Vol. 23, No. 6, pp 595-598
- Dann, K., Basford, L. and Nyatanga, L. (2001) The Nature of Empowerment: A Cyclic Representation Incorporating the Elements of Process and Product. In press (Issues in Mental Health nursing, Francis and Taylor)
- Basford, L., Dann, K. and Nyatanga, L. (2001) The Concept of Empowerment a Within Mental Health Unit. University of Derby: ISBN 0 901437 19 0
- Dann, K. and Nyatanga, L. (2001) Demystifying APL. Article In Zimbabwe Open University Newsletter: April 2001
- Nyatanga, L. and Dann, K. (2001) Giving credit where credit is due. In Touch Magazine, Issue 21 May-June 2001, pp10-14. The British Council: Newsletter Zimbabwe
- Dann, K. and Nyatanga, L. (2001) SWOT Analysis: Report of the APL Link Project based on the Research findings and consultation carried out in Zimbabwe - February 2001.
- Forman, D., Nyatanga, L. and Rich, T. (2002) E-Learning and Educational Diversity. Nurse Education Today, Volume 22, No. 1, 76-82
- Nyatanga, L. and Forman, D. (2002) Research and Development in Clinical Governance. Accepted for publication in the Journal of Clinical Governance
- Nyatanga, L. and Forman, D. (2002) From Professional Tribalism to Interprofessional Collaboration. Submitted to "Medical Teacher": An International Journal of Education in the Health Sciences
- Nyatanga, L. and Forman, D. (2002) Interprofessional Care: The need for an interprofessional curriculum. Submitted to "Medical Teacher": An International Journal of Education in the Health Sciences
- Nyatanga, L., and Dann, K. (2002) Empowerment in Nursing: the role of philosophical and psychological factors. Accepted for publication in "Journal of Nursing Philosophy"
Worked with the Press Association to psychologically assess the re-election family picture pose of Tony Blair after his election victory in 2005.