Position: Senior Lecturer & Faculty Teaching Fellow
College: College of Health and Social Care
Department: Health Care Practice
Subject area: Pre Qualification Health Care
I am a Senior Lecturer in Nursing and Healthcare Practice and also hold a post as Teaching Fellow in the Faculty of Education, Health and Sciences with a special interest in Continuing Professional Development.
I am module leader for the following modules:
- Transition to Registration in a Chosen Area of Practice - level 6
- Developing Innovation in Interprofessional Practice Education - level 7
My other teaching interests are - cardiac nursing; politics and healthcare; anatomy and physiology; professional development.
I qualified as a nurse from one of the first nursing degree programmes in the UK at Hull University and have remained passionate since about the links between academic preparation and clinical competence in nurse education.
My career in nursing practice spanned ten years before entering nurse education. During this time I worked in critical care areas including cardiac surgery, coronary care and high dependency medicine and hold a specialist qualification in cardio-thoracic nursing. I held a ward sister post for 6 years, in both coronary care and high dependency areas. Whilst a ward sister on coronary care I was involved in establishing the first cardiac rehabilitation programme in Derby, and have maintained an interest in this area, teaching sessions to Sport Science and Nursing students. I have experience in nurse education working in both pre-and post-registration teams, developing and delivering a wide range of programmes firstly at Wolverhampton University and more recently at Derby. I maintain practice links in Derby with acute medical areas and visit regularly to support students on placement and the mentors supporting them.
My research interest is in professional development and career planning in nursing. Having studied the need for guidance in planning careers amongst qualified nurses for my Master's dissertaion, I am now undertaking a study into the career guidance needs of student nurses undertaking their intial pre-registration preparation and how this can most effectively be delivered.
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Member of the Royal College of Nursing - Education Forum
- BSc (Hons) Nursing Sciences, University of Hull
- MSc Healthcare Policy & Organisation, University of Nottingham
- I am currently studying for a Doctor of Education, University of Derby
- External Examiner University of Cumbria 2006 -2010
- External Examiner Staffordshire University 2010 - present