Position: Senior Lecturer
College: College of Business
Department: Hotel, Resort and Spa Management
I am a Senior Lecturer in Spa and Wellness Management in the Department of Hotel, Resort and Spa Management within the College of Business. I am also a Link Tutor responsible for the day-to-day operational management of the university’s collaborative partnership with three hospitality management institutions in Switzerland.
I teach a range of modules on undergraduate and postgraduate programmes and supervise undergraduate and postgraduate independent studies.
I have worked for the University of Derby since 2003, in addition to teaching I have held various roles including: Assistant Subject Manager for Distributed Learning, where I oversaw the delivery of online programmes and managed a small team of online tutors and Faculty Curriculum Development Manager, where I was responsible for implementing the university's arrangements for curriculum development, validation and approval and monitoring, evaluation and review. I am an External Examiner for Newcastle College and the University of Surrey.
My research interests include: widening participation and support for vocational students in higher education, selling, consumer behaviour and the evolution of spa and wellness.
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- BA (Hons) Training and Education Initiatives, University of Derby
- University Advanced Diploma Manager as Coach and Mentor, University of Derby
- HNC Salon Management, University of Derby
- MA Education, University of Derby
- Postgraduate Certificate in Post Compulsory Education, Sheffield Hallam University
- Book Chapters ‘Selling the Total Spa Product’ and ‘Thermal and Mineral Springs’ due for publication 2016
- Buxton, L. C. (2016) Top 5 Wellness Trends for 2016 Carenovate Magazine
- Buxton, L. C. (2014) Active and Experiential Learning: Examples from Sport, Outdoor and Spa HEA Social Science Workshop Series 6th June 2014
- Buxton, L. C. (2012) Online Distance Learning: a Critical Review of Students Needs and Expectations LTA Conference 2nd July 2012
- Buxton, L. C. Cooper, S. J. Stockdale, I. (2012) Developing and Supporting Independent Learning British Educational Research Association Conference 6th September 2012
- Buxton, L. Stockdale, I. Cooper, S. (2011) Developing and Supporting Independent Learning LTA Conference 3rd July 2011
- Buxton, L. (2007) Should educators in hairdressing and spa form a higher education support network? Educators Forum University of Derby 11th June 2007
Prior to working in education, I worked in spa and wellness related industries for fifteen years; part of this time was spent running my own business.
I have experience of managing transnational education through my responsibility as Link Tutor for the university’s collaborative partnership with three hospitality management institutions in Switzerland. I have delivered lectures on retail and selling in Botswana.