Position: Programme Leader, FdSc International Spa Management/Lecturer
College: College of Business
Department: Hotel, Resort and Spa Management
Subject area: Spa
I am the Programme Leader for the Foundation Degree Sciences, International Spa Management programme as well a Lecturer across both the FdSc and BSc (Hons) programmes. I am module lead for the practical and subsequent theoretical aspects of the programmes. I am also module lead and lecturer for Anatomy and Physiology. In addition to this the students have the opportunity to do extra qualifications such as VTCT Swedish Massage, Waxing, Manicures and Pedicures for which I co-ordinate. This involves working with the awarding body's standards, liaising with the External Verifier and conducting internal verification and assessing.
My role as part of the team also involves being a personal tutor to a cohort of students offering support and advice as well as having a role as a dissertation supervisor.
I lead all practical training and work closely with the commercial spa to ensure students are enhancing their skills and following the correct standards and procedures.
I teach on the following modules:
- Anatomy and Physiology BSC (Level 4)
- Applied Spa Skills (Level 4)
- Massage Techniques (Level4 )
- Advanced Spa Skills (Level 5)
- Specialist Massage Techniques (Level 5)
- Balanced Nutrition and Spa Cuisine (Level 5)
- Spa Cuisine: Concepts and Philosophies (Level 5).
- Keeping up to date with the spa industry
- Attending conferences
- Networking with professionals within the spa industry
- Attending workshops/training to ensure in line with current industry practices
- Attending exhibitions
- Social media such as LinkedIn, facebook and twitter
- Staff development days
- Reading Professional Spa Literature/Magazines/Research on the Spa and Wellness Industry.
As part of the team I am involved in writing a chapter of a Spa Book that we are getting published therefore is currently ongoing. I am writing on the Guest Service and Guest Journey.
- International Spa Association
- Professional Beauty
- Federation of Holistic Therapists
- UK Spa Association.
- City and Guilds 706 & 707 (equivalent to Level 2 & Level 3) Catering & Hospitality
- Level 2 & 3 City and Guilds Beauty Therapy Qualifications
- Level 3 Indian Head Massage
- VTCT Diploma in Reflexology
- Level 4 VTCT Sports Massage
- Foundation Degree in Beauty Therapy Services, University of Derby Buxton
- BSc (Hons) International Spa Management, University of Derby Buxton
- Graduate Diploma in The Lifelong Learning Sector, University of Derby Buxton
- Currently undertaking MSc International Spa Management.
- Currently in the process of writing a book chapter for the Spa Book to be published. I am writing the chapter on Guest Service and Guest Journey.
- Buxton Spa and Wellness Conference 28th October 2015
- Recently attended Professional Beauty Awards, our commercial day spa, The Devonshire Spa, won UK Day Spa of the Year 2016.
I currently attend a local football club giving pre and post massage to the Development Squad attending training and matches.
I enjoy visiting spas whenever possible and networking with people from the industry
Current Activities/Links with Industry
- Attached to University's Facebook and Twitter to keep up with current news
- Associated with LinkedIn to network within the industry.
- Prior to being in the beauty and spa industry I was in the catering and hospitality industry working at various hotels around the UK in different roles. I was also a tenant of a public house with 6 accommodation rooms for five and half years
- Therapist and supervisory role within hotel spas and worked self-employed for different promotion companies travelling to different areas delivering Chair Massage and beauty treatments
- Worked with a company delivering spa treatments within holiday cottages
- Trainer and spa technician within the University's Devonshire Spa
- I also do voluntary work with a local football team providing sports massage.
- Attend international trips whereby we look at the culture and spa experiences and treatments.