Position: Senior Lecturer in Law
College: College of Business, Law and Social Sciences
Department: Derby Law School
Subject area: Law:
- Senior Lecturer in Law
- Researcher in Medical Law
- Mental Health Law
- Criminal Law
- Legal Skills
- Independent Studies (dissertation)
Chief Editor: The Journal of Medical Law and Ethics (www.jmle-online.com)
- Special Conference Edition 1: “Issues of Faith and Belief and the Donation of Body Parts for Transplantation and Research”, David Price Memorial Seminar Series, De Montfort University, vol.2-3, 2014 (supported by AHRC Research Networking Scheme Grant Ref: AH/1026448/1).
- Special Conference Edition 2: “Medical Confidentiality and Privacy: Past, Present and Future”, University of Glasgow and Durham University, vol. 1-2, 2015 (supported by Wellcome Trust Grant Number: 103499/Z/14/Z).
- Special Conference Edition 3: “Deconstructing Donation”, The Institute of Medical Ethics, Lancaster University, vol.3, 2015 (supported by funds from the Institute of Medical Ethics and Lancaster University).
- Medical Law
- Medical Ethics
- Organ transplantation in law (liver in particular)
- Saviour siblings (welfare of the donor child)
- Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (tissue typing in particular)
- Direct-to-consumer genetic testing (adult-onset diseases in particular)
- Criminal Law (genocide, causation, HIV transmission)
- Association of Law Teachers;
- Society of Legal Scholars;
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy;
- Registered at the UK Centre for Legal Education;
- American Society of Law, Medicine and Ethics;
- Institute of Medical Ethics
- LL.B (Hons)
- L. Cherkassky, (2011) Legal Skills. Palgrave Macmillan (9780230230088).
- L. Cherkassky, (2012) Course Notes: Criminal Law. Hodder Education (9781444146547).
- L. Cherkassky, (2014) Medical Law: Text, Cases and Materials. Pearson Longman (9781447901204).
- L. Cherkassky, ‘Kennedy and unlawful act manslaughter: an unorthodox application of the doctrine of causation’(2008) The Journal of Criminal Law, vol. 72(5), 387.
- L. Cherkassky, ‘What distinguishes the evil of genocide and how should we respond to it?’(2008) The International Journal of Punishment and Sentencing, vol. 4(3), 110.
- L. Cherkassky, C. Gale, and J. Guth, ‘Engaging New Law Lecturers and Reflections on the Engagement’ (2009) The Law Teacher, vol. 43(2).
- L. Cherkassky, ‘Genocide: Punishing a Moral Wrong’ (2009) International Criminal Law Review,(9) 301-319.
- L. Cherkassky, ‘The Meaning of ‘Wrong’ in the M’Naghten Test’  Criminal Lawyer, No.189 (8).
- L. Cherkassky, ‘Presumed consent in organ donation: is the duty finally upon us?’ (2010) European Journal of Health Law, vol. 17(2), 149.
- L. Cherkassky, ‘Being informed: the complexities of knowledge, deception and consent when transmitting HIV’(2010) The Journal of Criminal Law, vol. 74(3), 242.
- L. Cherkassky, ‘Rational rejection? The ethical complications of assessing organ transplant candidates in the UK and the USA’(2010) Journal of Law and Medicine, vol. 18(1).
- L.Cherkassky, ‘Does the U.S. do it better? A comparative analysis of liver allocation protocols in the United Kingdom and the United States’ (2011) Cambridge Quarterly of Healthcare Ethics, vol.20(3).
- L. Cherkassky, ‘The Secret World of Liver Transplant Candidate Assessment’ (2011) Medical Law International, vol.11(2).
- L. Cherkassky, ‘A Fair Trial? The Assessment of Liver Transplant Candidates with Psychiatric Illnesses’(2011) Journal of Medical Ethics, Vol.37(12), 739-742.
- L. Cherkassky, ‘The Wrong Harvest: The Law on Saviour Siblings’ (2015) The International Journal of Law, Policy and Family, vol.1, 1-20.
- L. Cherkassky, ‘Children and the Doctrine of Substituted Judgment’ (2015) Medical Law International, vol. 1, 1-23.
- L. Cherkassky, ‘Selecting a Disabled Embryo can Constitute Grievous Bodily Harm’ (2015) Medico-Legal Journal of Ireland, 21(1).
- L. Cherkassky, ‘Gillick, Bone Marrow and Teenagers’ (2015) Medico-Legal Journal 83: 154-158.
- L. Cherkassky, ‘The Human Tissue Authority and Saviour Siblings’ (2015) Journal of Bone Marrow Research, vol. 3, 158-167.
- L. Cherkassky, ‘The Interfamilial Principle and the Harvest Festival’ (2016) European Journal of Health Law, vol. 23, 30-48.
- L. Cherkassky, ‘Quintavalle: The Quandary in Bioethics’ (2016) Journal of Law and Health (accepted).
- L.Cherkassky, ‘R v Hendy: Intoxication and Diminished Responsibility’ (2007) The Journal of Criminal Law, 71(3), 203-208.
- L. Cherkassky, ‘Criminal Law: Text and Materials by Clarkson and Keating’ (2008) The International Journal of Learning in Education, vol. 42(1), 140.
- L. Cherkassky, ‘International Criminal Law by Antonio Cassese’ (2009) Legal Studies, vol. 29(1), 171.
- L. Cherkassky, ‘Criminal Law: Doctrine and Theory by William Wilson’ (2009) The International Journal of Learning in Education, vol. 43(3), 329.
- L. Cherkassky, ‘Criminal Law by Nicola Padfield’ (2009) The International Journal of Learning in Education, vol. 43(3), 327.
- L. Cherkassky, ‘Criminal Liability for Non-Aggressive Death by C.M.V. Clarkson and Sally Cunningham’ (2010) Legal Studies, vol. 3(3), 502.
- L. Cherkassky, ‘How Leading Lawyers Think: Expert Insights into Judgment and Advocacy by Randall Kiser’ (2012) International Journal of Law and Management, vol. 54(3), 242.
- L. Cherkassky, ‘Saviour Siblings: A Relational Approach to the Welfare of the Child in Selective Reproduction by Shelia McLean’, (2016) European Journal of Health Law, vol. 23, 103-112.
- L. Cherkassky, and C. Gale,‘Engaging Law Lecturers and Reflections on the Engagement’ Association of Law Teachers Annual Conference, 17th March 2008, Oxford University.
- L. Cherkassky, ‘Pot Luck for Students: Tutor A or Tutor B?’ The Learning in Law Annual Conference for The Higher Education Academy, 24th January 2009, Warwick University.
- L. Cherkassky, ‘E-Learning in Law: are we doing enough?’ Association of Law Teachers Annual Conference, Amsterdam, 7th April 2009.
- L. Cherkassky, ‘Ethical Challenges Behind the Allocation of Scarce Organs’ The Society of Legal Scholars Annual Conference, 7th September 2009, Keele University.
- L. Cherkassky, ‘International Ethical Challenges Behind the Allocation of Scarce Organs’Centre for Social Ethics and Policy Senior Seminar Series, 2009 - 2010 Session, 24th February 2010, The University of Manchester.
- L. Cherkassky, ‘Does the U.S. do it better? A comparative analysis of liver allocation protocols in the United Kingdom and the United States’ International Bioethics Retreat, 20th-26th June 2011, Cambridge University.
- L. Cherkassky, ‘Share Your Toys, Share Your Kidneys: Child Organ Donors’ 15th December 2014, Lancaster Medical School.
- L. Cherkassky, ‘A PhD Through Publication’ 3rd July 2015, Annual Research Conference, The University of Derby.
- Journal Review Board: International Journal of Social Science Studies.
- Also reviewed for: Annals of Transplantation; Medical Law Review; Medical Law International.
Book proposal reviewer for:
- Longman Press, Oxford University Press, Hodder Publishing, Routledge Cavendish Press, and Cambridge University Press.
Lecturer in Law at Bradford School of Management between 2007-2012.
External examiner: Anglia Ruskin University (undergraduate); Teesside University (postgraduate).