Position: Programme Leader for Undergraduate Marketing Progammes
College: College of Business
Department: Derby Business School
Subject area: Marketing and Operations
I am currently the UG Marketing Programme Leader, since August 2009. The role allows me to take responsibility for providing a clear purpose, through market research via employer engagement contributing to the continuous development of the Marketing Programmes. This has involved peer managing colleagues to buy into a clear and shared vision of 'research informed, employability and skills oriented' at the heart of our marketing provision.
I am passionate about developing ongoing relationships with local businesses, employers and professional bodies, to ensure that our programmes are current and continue to be informed by research and industry. I am involved with international recruitment activities, working with our partners in China and India.
I currently lead and teach on a range of undergraduate Marketing and Advertising modules:
- Digital Marketing
- Fashions and Trends in Marketing
- Media Planning
- Customer Insights
- Marketing Futures
I co-teach on the postgraduate International Marketing Communications module. I am passionate about interactive learning where the tutor and the students co-create knowledge. The modules I have been involved have utilised guest speakers, up to date case studies and research, to encourage students draw links between marketing research and practice.
I am currently interested in the 'Marketisation of Higher Education' debate in the UK. This is the topic of my doctoral research which examines the interplay of government policy, economics, consumer culture and consumer psychology on the 'student as customer' metaphor. I am currently writing a book chapter and a conference paper for forthcoming publications discussing the 'Beyond Student as Customer' to 'Student as Co-creator' and how emerging technologies will play a debatable yet revolutionary role as the HE provision continues to shift and change over the coming years.
- Member Academy of Marketing
- Chief External Examiner - Staffordshire University for the Leading Manager Programme in the UK and Business Portfolio for the franchise in Oman, Muscat.
- External Examiner - Glyndwr University for UG Business programmes.
- External Examiner - University of Huddersfield for the Certificate in Management studies and MSc in Healthcare Management
- July 2011 - Paper presented at Academy of Marketing Conference titled 'What Do Emerging Marketing Models Tell Us about UK Higher Education?'
- July 2011 - University LTA Conference
- Workshop titled 'Employer Engagement in shaping the Marketing Curriculum'
- July 2012 - Paper to be presented at Academy of Marketing Conference with working title 'The role of technology: Moving beyond Student as Customer to Student as Co-creator'
- September 2012 - Forthcoming Literature Review Paper
- An Examination of Consumerism in Higher Education
- 2012 - Forthcoming Book Chapter
- 'Beyond the Student as Customer.' In a forthcoming book titled Beyond Mcdonaldization: visions of the university in the 21st century edited by Professor Dennis Hayes.
- To increasingly work with a range of commercial organisations and develop a 'truly' employer engaged marketing provision.
- To research inform and influence the future re-positioning of HE. I am passionate and believe that technology has to and will play a major part in the way learning and teaching takes in the future
- I am keen to explore and develop joint-research and commercial opportunities via our increasing links with institutions in India.