Dr Krystal Hemmings
Position: Lecturer in Biomedical Sciences & Public Health
College: College of Life & Natural Sciences
Subject area: Biological Sciences
Lecturer in Biomedical Sciences & Public Health
I lead the following modules within the Biomedical Science and Public Health Discipline:
- The Cell
- Cellular Signalling in Health and Disease
I also teach on the following modules:
- Chemistry of Life
- Research Methods in Human Biology
- Human Biology
- Molecular Biology
I supervise Level 6 Independent Studies and Level 7 Masters in Research (MRes) students.
My research interests are in the field of Skeletal Muscle Biochemistry/Molecular Biology, including the molecular mechanisms by which particular nutrients can prevent muscle wasting and how skeletal muscle functions as an immunogenic organ.
My pedagogic interests are within the area of technology enhanced learning, where I use a range of tools to both digitise the curriculum and increase student engagement.
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- BSc (Hons) Applied Biology, The University of Nottingham
- PhD in Nutritional Sciences, The University of Nottingham
- Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice in Higher Education, Coventry University
My PhD was funded by a BBSRC Industrial CASE Studentship, in collaboration with Pfizer pharmaceuticals.