Dr Keith Stonier
Position: University Principal Tutor in Special Needs Education Practice
Lecturer (permanent/full time nine years/part time more recently) in the L4LW/Learning Support Department at the University of Derby Buxton, working with adults having learning difficulties and disabilities.
Lecturer (part time, temporary) at the University of Derby Online (UDOL), supporting students completing 'Independent Studies'/MA Research Dissertations in Education.
(Previously, worked in mainstream primary and middle schools for 33.5 years, including 18.5 years as a primary school headteacher)
- Lecturer on certificate and diploma courses with adults having learning difficulties and disabilities - including Full Cost Recovery (FCR) Courses and Functional Skills Courses in Maths., English and ICT.
- Lecturer for students completing 'Independent Studies' / MA Research Dissertations in Education online (UDOL). Have supported six students in completing MA Dissertations successfully (2012-2014) and continue to work with students following this route.
- The embedding of Basic Skills (Maths., English & ICT) into vocational curricular programmes.
- Have supported colleagues in their professional development: mentoring on the LTW, BA (Hons) and MA degree programmes.
- Two recent papers for journals (September 2013 and December 2013) reflect my interest in:
- the history of national identification strategies for adults with special needs
- the problems faced by 'older' (24+) adults with learning difficulties and disabilities in gaining wider, liberal opportunities for study in a further educational system geared to progression and employability
- The general academic and reading development of adults with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Regular peer reviewer for the British Journal of Learning Disabilities.
- Occasional peer reviewer for the British Educational Research Journal.
- Fellow of the College of Preceptors (F.Coll.P.)
- Fellow of the Institute for Learning (FIfL)
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts (FRSA)
- Cert Ed, Nottingham University/Matlock College of Education May 1969
- BEd, Nottingham University/Matlock College of Education June 1970
- MEd: The ethical and educational implications of Karl Popper's 'functionalism', Manchester University, Department of Education April 1979
- MPr/Master of Practice in Education : SfL Development, Derby University Faculty of Education, Health & Science July 2011
- PhD: Some implications of recent educational legislation for the teacher's role, Keele University, Department of Education November 1996
- Some Comments on Primary Practice, Newsletter of the College of Preceptors, Aug.1984
- Prescriptions, Standards and the Teacher's Role, Education Today 1997
- Changes to Guidance on Pupils' Behaviour and Exclusions, second trial volume of Primary Digest, Nelson Thornes, May 2004
- The School Partnership Programme: Evaluation of Phases 3 and 4, Issue 2, Primary Digest, Nelson Thornes, Sept., 2004
- Excellence and Enjoyment: learning and teaching in the primary years, Issue 4, Primary Digest, Nelson Thornes, Oct., 2004
- Problem Solving : a CPD pack to support the learning and teaching of mathematical problem solving, Issue 6, Primary Digest, Nelson Thornes, Nov., 2004
- Religious Education, the Non-Statutory National Framework, Issue 8, Primary Digest, Nov., 2004
- Ofsted Subject Conference Report : physical education (self-evaluation curriculum design and assessment in physical education), Issue 12, Primary Digest, Nelson Thornes, February, 2005
- A Review of Pupil Participation(DfES publ., March 2005), Issue 17, Primary Digest, Nelson Thornes, May 2005
- Book: Inspirational Ideas, A Book of Stories and Prayers for Worship-Times in Schools and Children's Church, First Edition, publ. UPSO 2006 (ISBN : 1-84375-207-7), Second Edition, publ. Authorhouse 2009 (ISBN : 1-9781-4389-1114-4)
- Article : Changes ahead! Adult curricular reading development, UDB RESPONSE Journal, Issue 4, Autumn, 2008
- Adult 'Readability' Book: Our friendship by Kathleen Blase and Yvonne Salt (students), edited by Keith Stonier for New Leaf Publications, 2010 (publication suspended due to the closure of New Leaf Publications)
- A century of national identification strategies for adults with special needs, Education Today, Vol. 63, No. 3, Autumn 2013 (pp.18-24)
- Learning for progression and employability or learning for learning's sake? (the paradox of 'older, 24+ adults with learning difficulties and disabilities in a further educational system geared to progression and employability, with reduced possibilities for continuing and wider, liberal education), Guest Editorial, British Journal of Learning Disabilities, 41 (pp.249-255), December 2013, John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
Several presentations to staff in my Department:
- Diagnostic Assessment, M1-M6 Paper-based Systems (October 2006)
- Diagnostic Assesment, M7-L2 Interactive/Electronic Systems (September 2007)
- Diagnostic Assessment, M1-L1 and Individual Learning Plan Targeting (September 2008)
- The New Learning Gateway Materials (September 2009)
My book, Inspirational Ideas (Authorhouse 2009, Second Edition) was the subject of a review in Education Today, Vol. 61, No.4, Winter 2011 (p.31) by Antony Luby and contained the following comments :-
This second edition of Inspirational Ideas is a worthwhile addition to the bookshelf of anyone who has ... responsibility for assembly in either primary or secondary schools ... It is easy to picture hard-pressed colleagues being grateful to the author for distilling his years of practical inspiration into this ... work.