Position: Programme Leader for MA Dramatherapy
College: College of Health and Social Care
Department: Therapeutic Practice
Subject area: Therapeutic Practice
Programme Leader for MA Dramatherapy
I teach on several modules on the MA Dramatherapy including the Dramatherapy Experiential Group, Arts Therapies Theories and Research in Relation to Practice One & Two and the Clinical Placement modules.
In addition, I also teach on the Creative Expressive Therapies BA on modules such as Expressive Drama and Working Creatively with People Two.
I am also a supervisor for students undertaking their Independent Scholarships.
My clinical experience is largely working in mental health services with children and families; however I has experience in working with a wide range of client groups including adults experiencing psychosis, people with learning disabilities and people diagnosed with eating disorders.
I have a particular interest in working with groups and am the module leader and facilitator for the Dramatherapy Experiential Group.
My other research interests include arts-based research methodologies, the role of drama in teaching and education and experiential learning methods.
I am a HCPC Registered Arts Therapist (dramatherapist) as well as a full member of BADth (British Association of Dramatherapists).
I'm also a member of the BADth Training Sub-Committee.
- Foundation in Group Analysis (Ongoing)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education
- MA Dramatherapy
- BA (Hons) Drama and Film Studies
- Bird, D. & Tozer, K (2016) Towards a drama therapy pedagogy: an a/r/tographic study using dramatic improvisation, Paper Presentation at the European Federation of Dramatherapy Conference, Bucharest
- Bird, D. & Tozer, K (2015) Shifting HE Cultures: Exporting Dramatherapy pedagogy and teaching practice to non-arts subject areas, Paper Presentation at the ECArTE (European Consortium for the Arts Therapies in Education) Conference, Palermo
My interests in the theatre include the theories of Grotowski, post-dramatic theatre and immersive theatre such as the work of Punchdrunk Theatre Company and Complicite. I also enjoy working with improvisation using forms such as Playback Theatre.
I have experience in teaching abroad in Belgium, Slovenia and Spain.