Position: Deputy Head, College of Business (Head of Business and Management), MSc HRM - Programme Leader/CIPD Lead
College: College of Business
Department: Derby Business School
Subject area: Business and Management
Research Centre: The Institute of Education
As a Deputy Head of the College of Business I have overall responsibility for Undergraduate generalist business and management programmes within Derby Business School, these include: BA (Hons) Business Management, Business Studies, Joint Honours Business Management, Joint Honours Human Resource Management and HND/C Business and Management.
At Postgraduate level I am responsible for MSc HRM and CIPD programmes. I work with teams of Programme Leaders, Year Leaders and specialist academics who are module leaders to ensure that academic standards, professional body requirements, work related learning opportunities and enhanced student learning is achieved in all that we do. My teams are involved in the development of new initiatives, programmes, and courses that deliver to students throughout the world.
My aim is to ensure that students challenge themselves and their own pre-conceptions. Students are encouraged to aim higher in their educational and professional lives by developing the knowledge and skills learnt in an engaging educational forum that is both academically rigorous and applied in practice. It is also important that students understand their own responsibilities within this process and take ownership of their learning and development and recognise how we support them in this two-way partnership.
I am a Programme Leader with responsibility for programmes in particular that are affiliated to the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development, and specifically those that are run on a part time basis.
I teach in the subject areas of human resource management, management, and leadership. Additionally I supervise postgraduate level dissertations.
I am also a Personal Tutor at undergraduate level.
My l research interests include:
- Employee voice (including voice of the academic as an employee)
- Academic freedom
- Role of University Vice-Chancellors
- Leadership in Universities.
- Chartered Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (Chartered FCIPD)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- I work for CIPD as a National Standards Moderator.
- MA Human Resource Management (Dist), Nottingham Trent University
- BA (Hons) History and Religious Studies, Leeds University
- HRM/CIPD Postgraduate Diploma.
- Gill JMR (2011) Academic Freedom and the role of educator in HEIs (Forthcoming chapter in book).December 2011
- Gill JMR (2011) Professionalism and Academic Freedom (2011) Teaching Standards Conference - Derby. July
- Dexter B, Franco G and Gill JMR (2010) A Brave New World for HRM in Local Government. European Academy of Rome. Conference paper. May
- Cope S and Gill JMR (2010) CPD: Concept or Context, Institutional and Faculty Perspectives. SoTL 8th International Conference. May
- Cope S and Gill J.MR (2010) Continuous Professional Development, Is concept or Context the critical factor? ABS Workshop, Derby. March
- Gill, JMR (2008) Embedding CPD in BCL - Developing the Reflective Academic. Buxton LTA conference. July
- Gill, JMR (2007) Research is the thing....., Buxton LTA Conference. July
I also review a range of postgraduate based texts in human resource management including authors:
- S Taylor
- J Beardwell and T Claydon
- D Farnham
- M Marchington and A Wilkinson
And I review refereed journal articles.
- My family
- Travelling and new experiences
- Music, opera, ballet, dance, theatre
I moved into the academic world after working in industry for approximately 20 years. After graduating from Leeds University I was a Graduate Trainee in Employee Relations in British Steel, I have also worked in the Civil Service, Local Government and in the private sector as an Employee Relations Manager.
My international work related experience is mainly within the context of my University development and teaching roles. I have recently delivered sessions in Greece and I have worked in Switzerland, Malaysia Israel, Botswana and Malawi.