Dr Jill Bunce
Position: Programme Leader MA Dance Movement Therapy, Subject Leader Dance and Movement Studies
College: College of Health and Social Care
Department: Therapeutic Practice
Subject area: Therapeutic Practice
Research Centre: Centre for Society, Religion and Belief
I am the Programme leader for Dance Movement Psychotherapy
I lead and develop the course for Dance Movement Psychotherapy, this involves me in developing community projects for placement, interaction with placement managers and developing the skills of other professionals. I am responsible for the teaching methods and delivery of the course and the design of the course to professional standards of ADMP (the Association of Dance Movement Psychotherapists).
- Working with Parkinson's patients,
- Working with students with disability,
- Challenging behaviour,
- Authentic Movement and Dance Education.
Working with patients with progressive neurological illness, eating disorders and body image.
I am a member of ADMP ,UKCP and i am a teaching fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
- BA (Hons) Theology, Birmingham University
- Postgraduate Diploma in Educational Therapy, Roehampton University
- MA Dance Movement Therapy (Laban), City University London
- Cert Ed , Christ Church University Canterbury
- Community Dance Leader, Laban
- Cert in Dance in Special Education, Laban Studio
- EDD The role of attachment in Dance Education in a transnational context., University of Derby
- 2002 The Living Dead The Nameless Dread ed. Dianne Waller2006 Research Methods in Dance movement Therapy ed. Helen Payne
- Bunce, J.(1998) Parkinson's Disease and Awareness of Space Laban Guild
- Bunce,J (1997) Dance Movement Therapy with Parkinson's The Parkinson (2001)
- Bunce,J. (2000) Clinical Perspectives in MS Case Study. Spanish Arts Therapies Publication. International Conference on Neurology and Arts Therapies.
- Bunce,J and Newell-Walker,U. (2002) Dance Movement Therapy and Art Therapy in Palliative Care in the Amber Valley. Derby University
- Bunce,J. (2006 ) Dance movement therapy with the Elderly Journal Of Geronotology No 14 Oxford University
- Bunce, J. (2002) 'Nameless Dread' ed. by Diane Waller. The Chapter contains work over ten years describing the work of Dance Movement Therapy with Parkinson's Patients and called the 'Living Dead' Routledge.
- Bunce,J.(2006) Research in Theory and Practice ed Helen Payne. Peer reviewed by German Dance Movement Therapy Association. Chapter DMTH with PD patients Routledge
- University of Winchester, The use of Dance in the community and The Role of Attachment and the Ecology of attachment in Community Arts,(2010)
- Jamk University of Applied Sciences, Jyvaskyla, Finland. How Dance Can contribute to the development of a Mind.
My latest news is that the Dance exchange work will develop into mentoring work and collaboration has started with Rosy Kay and her work as anthropologist and choreographer with her company. She is a research fellow at Oxford University.
I am a member of Dance Umbrella for Parkinson's Disease.
I also enjoy:
I ran three therapeutic holidays for the Parkinson's Society.
- University of Derby in collaboration with Staff University and BID 123. A DMP intervention with FE students and its impact on Body Image, Feb 2011 - Jult 2011.
Current Activities / Links with Industry
- Links with the Beth Johnson Foundation.
- I gave a workshop at Dance Xchange at The Birmingham Hippodrome for practitioners working with vulnerable people.
- Involved in a community project with the Red Cross in Derby, which provides Art Therapy and Dance Movement Psychotherapy.
I have lectured widely and attended conferences in Russia, Finland, Spain and Greece and the USA.
2010 Television feature on "Why men do not dance"