Mr James Keenan
Position: Lecturer in Strength and Conditioning
Subject area: Sport and Exercise
Lecturer in Strength and Conditioning
- Strength and Conditioning (Level 5)
- Applied Strength and Conditioning (Level 6)
- Principles of Sports Biomechanics (Level 4)
- Sports Coaching - Theory and Practice (Level 5)
- Academic and Applied Skills (Level 4)
- Performance enhancement through strength and conditioning
- Injury risk reduction in hamstring muscle
- Monitoring of resistance training loads
- The effect of strength training on running economy in endurance athletes.
- Accredited Member - United Kingdom Strength and Conditioning Association (UKSCA)
- BSc (Hons) Sport and Exercise Science, Coventry University
- MScR Strength and Conditioning in Elite Academy Football Players., Coventry University
- Keenan, J., Fruer, S., Noon, M., Thake, D. (2011) ' Improvements in Functional Movement Screen Scores Across 6 Months of In-Season Strength and Conditioning in Elite Academy Footballers' European College of Sports Science Conference - Poster presentation.
Current Activities / Links with Industry
I am the current lead S&C coach for West Midlands NTL netball and associated development teams and a coach educator for England Netball, in addition to this I provide strength and conditioning support to two professional boxers.
Before joining University of Derby,I was integral in developing a University system for providing and managing strength and conditioning support services to athletes. This included strength and conditioning provision to University teams, Scholarship athletes and external clients including TASS and Coventry City Football Club.