Ms Irene Sweeney
Position: Associate Online Lecturer
College: College of Business, Law and Social Sciences
Department: Derby Business School
Subject area: Human Resource Management
Online lecturer with University of Derby Buxton. Also an on campus tutor for a University of Derby collaborative partner in Switzerland.
Currently teaching the following modules (online and at the collaborative partner):
- Introduction to Human Resource Management
- Managing Human Resource Management
- Human Resource Management and Business Strategy
- Management and Leadership Across Cultures
- Developing Skills for Business Leadership
Having studied in the area of Hospitality and Tourism and then changing my direction of study to specialise in Human Resource Management, I find it interesting to combine these two broad fields of study. I have substantial experience of working in various departments and internationally in the hospitality industry and keeping abreast of changes in this industry and within the field of HR at a practical level interests me with regard to enriching my lectures.
As I lecture on campus at a collaborative partner in Switzerland, the issue of culture interests me as a research area. I am currently undertaking a Work Based Project for my Doctorate of Education focusing on the issue of culture shock for students who are not Swiss and do not come from within a British educational framework but have to become accustomed to both in a relatively short period of time.
- Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD)
- BA (Hons) Hospitality and Tourism Management, University of Ulster at Magee, Londonderry, N. Ireland
- Higher Diploma in Hotel and Catering Management, Regional Technical College, Galway, Ireland
- MSc in Human Resource Management, University of Abertay, Dundee, Scotland
- Postgraduate Diploma in Personnel Management (CIPD), Dundee College, Dundee, Scotland
- Doctorate of Education (in progress), University of Derby
Experience in the hospitality industry ranges from entry level positions in housekeeping, kitchen and service to supervisory positions in front office. These positions were in many different locations e.g. Ireland, England, Scotland, France, USA.
I have substantial experience (10 years) in lecturing multicultural students, (6 of which are at the collaborative partner in Switzerland). I have also visited universities in Malaysia as a guest lecturer.