Ilias A S Oraifige
Position: Deputy Head of Department of Engineering Head of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering Division
College: College of Engineering and Technology
Subject area: Engineering
Dr Oraifige is currently Deputy Head of Department of Engineering and Head of Division (Mechanical, Manufacturing and Motorsport Engineering), for a period of four years (2008 – 2012) Dr Oraifige was the Subject Manager for both Engineering and Built Environment. The role involved the management of 27 fulltime staff plus associate lecturers and over 850 students, it was very busy and demanding, however it was extremely enjoyable and beneficial for his self-esteem and self-belief.
The success achieved as subject manager for engineering and built environment led to the growth of students, resources and number of academic staff. This led to the split of these subject areas and Dr Oraifige became subject manager for engineering and responsible for disciplines of Mechanical, Manufacturing, Motorsport and Design Engineering, this being 20+ academic staff (FT & Sessional) and approx 600+ FT&PT students.
Since then (2012 – Date), Dr Oraifige led this division into new era leading to significant increase in students and staff numbers and achieved a number of successful outcomes including:
- Achieving number 11 in the Guardian League table for the subject area (June 2014);
- Leading role in the development and support of the Institute for Innovation in sustainable Engineering (IISE);
- Securing 3 KTPs and others on the way;
- Professional accreditation for all programmes;
- Internationalisation including international market recruitment and collaboration strategy;
- Expansion of the division’s portfolio at all levels;
- Valuable contribution in the £600,000 HEFCE Bid in response for the PSS project and
- Currently working on the development of programmes in collaboration with organisations such as Bombardier to support their Higher Apprentice Schemes.
Involved in the delivery of various modules at all levels including: Engineering Science, Industrial control systems; Design for manufacture; Advanced Mechanical Design; 2D/3D modelling; Management of lean organisations.
Highly qualified Chartered Engineer and Fellow member of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE).
Excellent achievemnets' track record and successful industrial experience.
Self-motovated, organised, articulate and determined to succeed. Posesses good communication skills, energy and thorough knowledge of new technologies.
Current role involves continuous engagement with industry in many ways including development of new programmes, short courses, consultancy, KTPs, etc.
Current research work involves virtual reality and finite element analysis. The main aim of the research is to investigate and develop tools to facilitate the integration of virtual reality and finite elements analysis, and hence providing real time design analysis capabilities in virtual environment. Current PhD supervisions include:
- Simulation based Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) for Sustainable Manufacturing Design and Management.
- Using Intelligent Augmented Reality (AR) for multi-user collaborative Design and Manufacturing
- Reducing the aircraft noise through the use Computational Fluid Dynamics and Neural Network
Other Areas of Research Involves:
- Applying Web-based Technology to Support Design and Manufacture
- Touch and Force Feedback for Virtual Reality
- Virtual Reality Environment for interactive Product Design
Research Track Record Includes:
- Assistant Editor for the International Journal of Engineering Simulation (www.intJES.co.uk).
- Organiser of the 2007 International Conference on Modelling, Simulation & Visualisation Methods (MSC’07) at the WORLDCOMP’07, Las Vegas.
- Two PhD Completion,
- Three MPhil Completion,
- Four Ongoing PhD Research Students,
- Other Research Studentships on the Way,
- Number of MPhil/PhD Examiner (10+) with a number of Universities including University of Wolverhampton, University of Derby, Swansea Metropolitan University and Cranfield University.
Other Relevant Expertise:
- Process Flow and Shop floor Layout Optimisation
- Production Planning and Scheduling
- Production / Manufacturing Engineering
- New Product Development
- Stress Analysis and Design Optimisation
- Engineering Design and Simulation
- Chartered Engineer and Fellow Member of the Institution of Mechnaical Engineers (IMechE)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- BEng Engineering with Commendation, University of Central England
- MSc in Industrial Logistics, University of Central England
- Post Graduate Certificate in Higher Education, University of Wolverhampton
- PhD in Simulation, Control and Coordination of Hierarchical Structures, University of Wolverhampton
S. S. Alhomoud, D. Harmanto and I. Oraifige, “An investigation into the effect of Drag coefficient on overtaking of car”, Applied Mechanics and Materials Vol. 493 (2014) pp 151-154
Yiling Lu, Wei-qi Li, Ilias Oraifige, and Wen Wang, “Converging parallel plate flow chambers for studies on the effect of the spatial gradient of wall shear stress on endothelial cells”, Journal of Biosciences and Medicines, 2014, Vol. 2, No. 2 April 2014, pp 50-56
Yiling Lu, Wei-Qi Li, Ilias Oraifige and Wen Wang. Design of parallel plate flow chambers and endothelial cell response. Spring Congress on Engineering and Technology, Shanghai, April, 2014.
S. S. Alhomoud, D. Harmanto and I. Oraifige, “An investigation into the effect of Drag coefficient on overtaking of car”, ICome Conference, Mataram, Indoenesia, 10th – 15th September 2013
Jose Arturo Garza-Reyes, Harshad Sudhir Parkar, Ilias Oraifige, Horacio Soriano-Meier, Dani Harmanto, “An empirical-exploratory study of the status of lean manufacturing in India”, Int. J. Business Excellence, Vol. 5, No. 4, 2012, pp 395-412.
Simon Withers, Jose Arturo Garza-Reyes, Horacio Soriano-Meier; Ilias Oraifige, “Applying lean management, industrial engineering and automation technology methods for the improvement of a testing process”, Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Manufacturing Research ICMR 2012
Oraifige, I., Wu, M., Sugiono. (2012) Employ the Taguchi Method to Optimize BPNN’s Architectures in Car Body Design System. American Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics 2012, 2(4): 140-151.
Oraifige, I., Wu, M., Chen, J. (2012) Application of the Back Propagation Neural Network Model on the Supplier Evaluation in E-manufacturing Environment. Applied Mechanics and Materials Vols. 16-19 pp 174-177
- Oraifige, A., Wu, M., Mills, B., and Oraifige I. (2011), “An Online Intelligent System for teaching Design Technologies to Engineering Students”, Journal of the Higher Education Academy, Volume 6 Issue 1, pp. 40-51..
Garza-Reyes, J.A., Oraifige, I., Soriano-Meier, H., Forrester, P.L., Harmanto, D. (2011), “The development of a lean park homes production process using process flow and simulation methods”, Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, Vol. 23 Iss: 2 pp. 178 – 197
Garza-Reyes, J.A., Parkar, H.S., Oraifige, I., Soriano-Meier, H., Harmanto, D. (2011), “An empirically-exploratory study of the status of lean manufacturing in India”, Int. J. Business Excellence, Vol. 5, No. 4, pp.395–412.
- Harmanto, D. and Oraifige. I.(2011), “Optimisation design cooling channel for injection moulding using CFD and FEA simulation techniques”, Accepted for publication in the 21st International Conference on Flexible Automation and Intelligent Manufacturing (FAIM), Taiwan, 26-29 June.
- Harmanto, D., Bousbaine, A. and Oraifige, I., “Integrated framework of Automotive body surface using FEA technique”, QiR Conference 2011, Bali, Indonesia 2011
- Garza-Reyes, J.A., Al-Jasser, A., Oraifige, I., Soriano-Meier, H., Forrester, P.L. (2011), “A general evaluation of Total Quality Management (TQM) in the Kuwait Oil industry”, 21st International Conference on Flexible Automation and Intelligent Manufacturing (FAIM), Taiwan, 26-29 June
- Jian Chen , Mianhong Wu , Ilias Oraifige, “Investigate an intelligent supplier evaluation system in e-manufacturing”, International Journal of Internet Manufacturing and Services, Vol. 2, No.3-4/2010, p281-293, 2010
- Sugiono, Mian Hong Wu, Ilias Oraifige (2010), “Taguchi Method Based Basic Car Body Optimisation”, Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Automation & Computing, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, UK, 11 September 2010
- Garza-Reyes, J.A., Oraifige, I., Soriano-Meier, H. and Rocha-Lona, L. (2010), “An empirical application of Six Sigma and DMAIC methodology for business process improvement”, Proceedings of the 20th International Conference on Flexible Automation and Intelligent Manufacturing (FAIM), California, US, July 12-14
Senior Logistics Controller
BTR Automotive - Coventry, Air Suspension Systems
I was one of the key persons within the logistics department of the above company who supplied products to the automotive industry for period of nearly two years. My role involved the production planning of various units within the company. The unit that I was responsible for its production plans had a turnover of £12 million a year. At the end of my work period there Iimproved the customer deliver performance from 60% to 98% and Ireduced the arrears from £100,000 to £10,000. This was regarded, by the company's management, to be a remarkable achievement, which was never achieved in the history of the company.
My role also involved expediting; raising, issuing and progressing scheduled production orders. The production planning process was the results of using BaanIV MPS/MRP system, which I became expert in using and manipulating, and hence was responsible for its running and maintenance.
Working for this company provided me with the experience and knowledge to deal with such demanding industry.
Nautic Steel Ltd - Tamworth
I was responsible for the design of a 500-ton auto hydraulic press for use in the production of high-pressure pipefitting for the oil industry. All the design work and technical drawings produced was carried out on AutoCAD based on complex stress analysis calculations that I had to carry out.
I was also responsible for the design of the control unit required for the automatic control of the designed press.
The Automated Press in now fully operational at the company's premises.
T K Parkers Ltd - Hockley - Birmingham
Developed a number of software programs for various applications to suit customers' requirements.
University of Wolverhampton: Research Fellow 1999-2000
One of the responsibilities within my role is international recruitment which invloves development of international links with various institutions around the world.