Professor Huw Davies
Position: Dean of College of Arts
College: College of Arts, Humanities and Education
Dean of College of Arts
- Creative Industries Education. Professor of Lens Media. Professional practice as filmmaker, photographer curator and programmer.
- Chair of Board and Curator, Berwick Film and Media Arts Festival, Berwick-upon-Tweed, Northumberland (since 2004) www.berwickfilm-artsfest.com
- Board member and Trustee of various arts and cultural organisations including: QUAD Arts, Derby; UK Young Artists; Derby Theatre. FORMAT International Photography Festival.
- Experimental and documentary film and photography and curation.
- Research models for creative arts practice.
Selected Photography and New Media
- 'Unwatched Operations' (Impressions Gallery, York and tour - 1986).
- 'Transitions' (Commission DCHE / East Midlands Arts and tour -1987).
- 'A Place in the Country' (Ffotogallery, Cardiff and tour - Book published by Michael Joseph. 1990).
- Home from Home' (Cross Channel Photographic Mission commission and tour -published in 'Soundings' 1993).
'A Perfect Society' (Zone Gallery 1995).
- 'Silver to Silicon' (Artec, 1996).
Selected Film Production (Credit as Co-Director/Producer/Writer)
- 'The Ship that Never Returned' (27mins, 16mm, 1987, Greater London Arts/Welsh Arts Council).
- 'The Lighthouse' (25mins, 16mm, 1989, The Discovery Channel/Screen Ventures).
- 'Walking on the Moon' (8mins, 16mm, 1990, KET TV).
- 'Gold Fever' (26mins, 16mm, 1993, Screen Ventures/Northern Arts).
- 'Five Prospects of the Jealous Wall' (5mins, 16mm, 1997, Northern Production Fund).
- 'Folly Obscura' (5mins, 35mm, 1999, Northern Production Fund).
- 'Reflections upon the Origin of the Pineapple' (7mins, 35mm, 2000, Scottish Arts Council/Scottish Screen/Northern Production Fund / National Lottery).
- 'The Perpetual Twilight of Gregor Black' (11mins, 35mm, 2004, Scottish Screen/ National Lottery).
- 'Reconfiguration' (4mins, 4 screen site-specific installation, 2005, Commission by Home Front Recall/Heritage Lottery Fund).
- 'The Changing Face' (3mins, single screen site-specific installation, 2007, Commission by Dott07 / Culture 10 / Welcomes Project).
- 'The Peoples Laws' (4mins, 4 screen installation and digital text display, site-specific installation 2008. Commission by Northumberland Lights / Culture 10)
Broadcast credits include: BBC 1 (UK), BBC 2 (UK), YLE (Finland), RTE (Republic of Ireland), TF1 (France), TF3 (France), The Discovery Channel (USA), Premier (Germany), ORS (Austria), TV2 (Denmark), Canal + (Poland).
Screenings in competition at over 100 international film festivals since 2000 including: Edinburgh (2000 and 2004). Cork (2000 and 2004). Sau Paulo (2000). London (2000 - runner up for TCM best short). Trencianske Teplice (2001). Philadelphia (2001 and 2005). European Media Arts Festival, Osnabruck (2001). Denver (2001 and 2004). Hong Kong (2002). Houston (2002 and 2005 Winner Best Short Film 2002 and 2005). Seattle (2004). Montreal Festival of World Cinema (2004). Los Angeles (2004). MECAL Barcelona (2004 - Winner 'Oblique' prize for Best Short Film). Interfilm Berlin (2004). Tehran (2004). Bratislava (2004). Clermont-Ferrand (2005). Cinequest - San Jose (2005). Arcipelago International Short Film Festival - Rome (2005). Tabor International Film Festival -Croatia (2005). Monterrey International Film Festival -Mexico (2005). Sonar International Short Film Festival, Firenze -Italy (2006 Award of Best Experimental-Visual Short). International Festival of Cinema and Technology (2007 world tour inc USA, Australia, UK).
- Curator of Artist film programme Berwick Film & Media Arts Festival since 2005 which has included: 'Crossing Borders' (2005 - Catalogue ISBN: 978-0-9551203-0-5.), 'Film on Film' (2007 - Catalogue ISBN: 978-0-9551203-1-2) and 'Stagings' (2010 - Catalogue ISBN: 0-9551203-4-9).
- Selection panel member of 'Exposure' section of Format International Photography Festival since 2009.
- Curating 'Artists Trail' element of Berwick Film & Media Arts Festival 2016.
- 'The Films of the Jackson & Milne Archives 1924-2005'. Current research on two major collections of family home movies filmed in the Borders, Edinburgh and Glasgow over a period of 80 years. I have been working with the Scottish Screen Archive and National Libraries of Scotland since 2008. Interviewed by STV, Tyne Tees TV, BBC Radio Scotland and The Scotsman in relation to this work in September 2010.
- Also see below Recent Publications
- City & Guilds Photography (Ord & Adv), Paddington College, 1981
- BA (Hons) Photography & Film (1st Class), Trent Polytechnic, 1984
- MA Graphic Design (Distinction), Manchester Polytechnic, 1985
Recent Publications/Exhibitions (since 2012):
- PICTURES IN MOTION - Berwick Film & Media Arts Festival - 8th edition 19-23 September 2012. Catalogue ISBN: 978-0-9551203-2-9. www.berwickfilm-artsfest.com.
- AN UNCOMMON PAST - Visual Explorations of Time, History and Memory'. Group Exhibition and Catalogue (ISBN 978-0-901437-44-0). Exhibited at the New Media Centre Gallery, Sichuan Fine Art Institute, Chongqing, China. 26 April- 13 May 2012 as part of the British Council UK NOW Festival.
- ROADS TO WIGAN PIER Group exhibition of work originally commissioned by the Impressions gallery, Bradford in 1984 as part of their 40 year anniversary. October to December 2012. Participation in symposium 'Where did the years go?" November 2012. www.impressions-gallery.com/exhibitions/exhibition.php?id=50
- TRANSITIONS - Exhibition as part of Format International Photography Festival 2013 - 'The Factory'. Derby 8 March - 7 April 2013. Exhibition of newly commissioned work featuring portraits of the subjects first shown in 1987 as part of Industry Year commission. Shown as part of Focus, Illustrated catalogue chapter and essay (ISBN: 978-0-9553538-7-1). Speaker at Format Conference March 2013.
- PHOTOCINEMA - The Creative Edges of Photography and Film. Intellect Press, 2013. Ed. Neil Campbell and Alfredo Cramerotti. (ISBN 978-1-84150-562-6). Associate Editor and and Co-selection of Portfolio Section. Interview with Martin Parr, Talking Pictures part of Brief Encounters section. Work included in portfolio section: The Changing Face, by Coates/Davies. www.intellectbooks.co.uk/books/view-Book,id=4903
- TEN – From Crossing Border to Border Crossing – Retrospective publication celebrating ten years of the Berwick Film and Media Arts Festival. (ed. H. Davies) BFMAF/ACE/BFI, 2014. ISBN: 978-0-9551203-6-7) URL: www.berwickfilm-artsfest.com.
I joined the University of Derby in November 2007 as Dean of the Faculty of Arts, Design & Technology. Previously I held teaching, research and management positions at a number of universities and colleges in the UK and USA over a 20-year period. Prior to taking up the post at Derby, I was Professor of Lens Media and Head of the School of Arts & Creative Industries at Edinburgh, Napier University, which included the Skillset accredited, Screen Academy Scotland and the Ian Tomlin School of Music.
I have extensive experience as an external examiner, advisor and validation / review panel Chair for over 20 UK universities, including international work for the Open University, the University of Wales and University of Hertfordshire in China, India, Russia, Malaysia, Thailand and various EU countries.
Various regional and national print, radio and television.