Dr Howard Fox
Position: Senior Lecturer in Geography and Co-Director of CLEM
College: College of Life & Natural Sciences
Department: Life Sciences
Subject area: Geography
Senior Lecturer in Geography and Co-Director of CLEM
Land degradation, natural resource management and conservation issues, Morocco. Land reclamation and restoration.
- Fox, H. R., Moore, H. M., Newell Price, P. and El Kasri, M. (1997) Soil erosion and reservoir sedimentation in the High Atlas Mountains, southern Morocco. In Walling, D. E. and Probst, J-L. Human Impact on Erosion and Sedimentation. IAHS Publ. No. 245, 233-240.
- Newell Price, P., Fox, H. R., Moore, H. M., Harrouni, M. C. and El Alami, A. (1997) Application of a pedogeomorphic approach to sediment management strategies in the High Atlas Mountains, southern Morocco. In Walling, D. E. and Probst, J-L. Human Impact on Erosion and Sedimentation. IAHS Publ. No. 245, 223-230.
- Newell Price, J. P., Fox, H. R. and Moore, H. M. (1997) L'application d'une méthode pédogeomorphique pour la conservation des sols dans les montagnes Haut - Atlas, Maroc. Réseau Erosion, Bulletin 17, 304-313.
- Moore, H. M., Fox, H. R., Harrouni, M. C. & El Alami, A.(1998) 'Kif in the Rif': biodiversity under threat in Morocco. In: M. F. Price, T. H. Mather and E. C. Robertson (eds). Global changes in the Mountains. Parthenon, New York and London.
- Fox, H. R., Moore, H. M. & McIntosh, A. D. (eds) (1998) Land Reclamation: Achieving Sustainable Benefits. A. A. Balkema, Rotterdam and Brookfield. 548pp.
- Mackenzie, A. J., Willmot, A., Fox, H. R. & Moore, H. M. (1998) The restoration of soils in opencast coal plantationsin Derbyshire. In: Fox, H. R., Moore, H. M. and McIntosh, A. D. (eds) Land Reclamation: Achieving Sustainable Benefits. A. A. Balkema, Rotterdam and Brookfield. C. pp. 287-295.
- Fox, H. R., Moore, H. M., Price, P. N. and El Kasri, M. (1998) Soil erosion assessment and conservation strategy High Atlas Mountains, south Morocco. In: A. Rodriguez Rodriguez, C. C. Jimenez Mendoya and M. L. Tejedor Salguero (eds). The soil as a strategic resource: Degradation processes and conservation measures. Geoforma Ediciones, Logioño. pp 61-76.
- Moore, H. M., Fox, H. R., Harrouni, M. C. and El Alami, A (1998) Environmental challenges in the Rif Mountains, northern Morocco. Environmental Conservation, 25, (4), 354-365.
- Dalton, R. T., Fox, H. R. & Jones, P. F. (1999) Classic Landforms of the White Peak. 2nd Ed. Geographical Association.
- Dalton, R. T., Fox, H. R. & Jones, P. F. (1999) Classic Landforms of the Dark Peak. 2nd Ed. Geographical Association.
- Fox, H. R. and Moore, H. M. (2000) Proceedings of Land Reclamation and Regeneration Conference, Camborne School of Mines, Cornwall 6-7th September 2000. British Land Reclamation Society & National Land Reclamation Panel,188pp.
- Fox,H.R., Wilby, R.W. & Moore, H.M. (2001) The impact of river regulation and climate change on the barred estuary of the Oued Massa, southern Morocco. Regul. Rivers: Res. Mgnt. 17: 235-250.
- Wedgbrow, C. S., Wilby, R. L., Fox, H. R. & O'Hare, G. Prospects for seasonal forecasting of low river flows in the UK. International Journal of Climatology 22:219-236.
- Moore, H. M., Fox, H. R., & Elliott, S. (Eds) (2003) Land Reclamation: Extending the Boundaries. Lisse: A.A. Balkema.
- Harrouni, C., El Alami, A., Gantaoui, F., Moore, H. M. & Fox, H. R. (2003) Reclamation of quarry waste in Morocco: Agadir cement works. In: H. M. Moore, H. R. Fox & S. Elliott. Land Reclamation: Extending the Boundaries. Lisse: A.A. Balkema. p. 235-242.
- Wilby, R. L., Wedgbrow, C. S. & Fox, H. R. (2004) Seasonal predictability of the summer hydrometeorology of the River Thames, UK. Journal of Hydrology (Accepted for publication).
- Optimising Land and Water Resources in Arid Environments; International Conference, Agadir, southern Morocco March 2005. Sponsored by The British Council.
- An ongoing project concerning water supply, water quality, environmental sanitation and health in high mountain villages of the Anti Atlas Mountains of Morocco. Funding until 2006 has been provided by the British Council (DFID) and the project aims to provide sustainable solutions to the problems of rural water supply and quality.
- In the region a new project is being developed to provide baseline, environmental, ecological and biological data on the recently discovered dragon tree (Dracaena draco L.subsp.ajgal). Funding is being sought from EARTHWATCH.
- Other work in the Agadir region includes restoration of the quarry spoil from the local cement works and restoration of the main Agadir landfill site.