Position: Lecturer in Biological Sciences
Subject area: Biological Sciences
My background in molecular ecology enables me to teach a wide breadth of subjects. My teaching ranges from molecular genetics and DNA technologies, molecular evolution, population and conservation genetics, through to ecology, conservation biology and macroevolution.
I am a molecular ecologist with broad interests in vertebrate ecology, evolution and behaviour. For more than a decade I have used molecular genetic markers to answer fundamental questions in ecology and evolution. I have a particular interest in the conservation biology, conservation genetics and phylogeography of the Natterjack Toad Bufo calamita.
Member of the Pool Frog Rana lessonae Species Action Plan Steering Group, an advisory committee co-ordinated by English Nature and the Herpetological Conservation Trust.
- BSc (Hons) Biology (First Class), University of Luton, 1990
- Rowe G. and Beebee T.J.C. (2007) Defining population boundaries: use of three Bayesian approaches with microsatellite data from British natterjack toads (Bufo calamita). Molecular Ecology 16: 785-796.
- Rowe G., Harris D.J. and Beebee T.J.C. (2006) Lusitania revisited: A phylogeographic analysis of the natterjack toad Bufo calamita across its entire biogeographical range. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 39: 335-346.
- Beebee, T.J.C., Buckley, J., Evans, I., Foster, J.P., Gent, A.H., Gleed-Owen, C.P., Kelly, G., Rowe, G., Snell, C., Wycherley, J.T. and Zeisset, I. (2005). Neglected native or undesirable alien? Resolution of an unusual conservation dilemma concerning the pool frog Rana lessonae. Biodiversity and Conservation 14: 1607-1626.
- Rowe, G. and Beebee, T. J. C. (2005). Intraspecific competition disadvantages inbred natterjack toad (Bufo calamita) genotypes over outbred ones in a shared pond environment. Journal of Animal Ecology 74: 71-76.
- Rowe, G. and Beebee, T.J.C. (2004). Effective population size: Reconciling genetic and demographic estimators of Ne in the anuran amphibian Bufo calamita. Conservation Genetics 5: 287-298.
- Beebee, T.J.C. and Rowe, G. (2004). Introduction to Molecular Ecology. Oxford University Press. [Textbook]
- Rowe, G. and Beebee, T.J.C. (2003). Population on the verge of a mutational meltdown? Fitness costs of genetic load for an amphibian in the wild. Evolution 57: 177-181.
- Rowe, G., Dickinson, H.C., Gibson, R., Funk, S.M. and Fa, J.E. (2002). St Lucia Whiptail Lizard Cnemidophorus vanzoi (Sauria : Teiidae) microsatellite primers. Molecular Ecology Notes 2: 124-126.
- Rowe, G. and Beebee, T.J.C. (2001). Fitness and microsatellite diversity estimates were not correlated in two outbred anuran populations. Heredity 87: 558-565.
- Beebee, T.J.C. and Rowe, G. (2001). Application of genetic bottleneck testing to the investigation of amphibian declines: A case study with natterjack toads. Conservation Biology 15: 266-270.
- Beebee, T.J.C. and Rowe, G. (2000). Microsatellite analysis of natterjack toad Bufo calamita Laurenti populations: consequences of dispersal from a Pleistocene refugium. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 69: 367-381.