Dr Fei Shao
Position: Lecturer in Mechanical Engineering and Visualisation
College: College of Engineering and Technology
I have a mechanical engineering and biomedical engineering research background. His expertise and main focus is in the development of visualisation and Virtual Reality (VR) technology to support design and ergonomic evaluation for manufacturing and assembly within sectors such as nuclear, automotive and aerospace industries. I have carried out industrial projects with world leading companies, such as Airbus, Bentley, NNL(National Nuclear Laboratory).
- Module leader for 5ME 505 Engineering Design Modelling
- Module leader for 3ME504 Mathematics for Study in Technology
- Module leader for 5ME513 Project Foundation Degree for Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering (WBL)
- Human centred engineering design
- Virtual Reality
- Tactile sensing
- Vibration measurement
- MSc in Biomedical Engineering University of Surrey, 2002
- PhD in Biomedical Engineering University of Surrey, 2007
- Shao F, Xu W, Crocombe A, and Ewins D. Natural frequency analysis of osseointegration for trans-femoral implant, Annals of Biomedical Engineering 35 (5): 817-824, 2007;
- Shao F, T. H.C. Childs and Henson B, Developing an artificial fingertip with human friction properties, Tribology International, 42(11/12):1575-1581,2009;
- Chen XJ, Barnes CJ, Childs T, Henson B, Shao F. Materials’ tactile testing and characterisation for consumer products’ affective packaging design. Materials and design, 30(10) 4299-4310, 2009.
- Chen XJ, Shao F, Barnes CJ, Childs T, Henson B, Exploring relationships between touch perception and surface physical properties. International Journal of Design, 3(2): 1-10, 2009.
- Shao F, Chen XJ, Barnes CJ, Henson B, A novel tactile sensation measurement system for qualifying touch perception. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part H, Journal of Engineering in Medicine, 224(1):97-105, 2010;
- Shao F, Childs THC, Barnes CJ, Henson B, Finite element simulations of static and sliding contact between a human fingertip and textured surfaces. Tribology International, 43(12):2308-2316, 2010;
- Shao F, Robotham AJ, Hon KKB. Development of a 1:1 scale true perspective virtual reality system for design reviews in the automotive industry. Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Manufacturing Research ICMR 2012;
- Meyer G, Shao F, White M, Hopkins C, Robotham AJ. Modulation of visually evoked postural responses by contextual visual, haptic and auditory information: a 'virtual reality check'. PLOS ONE 8(6):1-15: e67651. 2013. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0067651
- Meyer G, Shao F, White M, Robotham T, 2013, "Differential modulation of visually evoked postural responses by real and virtual foreground objects." Perception 42 ECVP Abstract Supplement, page 230
- Meyer G, Shao F, White M, Robotham AJ. Differential modulation of visually evoked postural responses by real and virtual foreground objects. 36th European Conference on Visual Perception, Bremen Germany, 2013.
- Robotham AJ, Shao F. REFLECTIONS ON VIRTUAL PROTOTYPING AND VIRTUAL REALITY AS TOOLS FOR ENGINEERING DESIGN SYNTHESIS. International Design Conference- Design 2014 Dubrovnik-Croatia.
- Robotham AJ, Shao F. DEVELOPING VIRTUAL REALITY SCENARIOS FOR ASSESSMENT OF USER EXPERIENCES IN AUTOMOTIVE DESIGN. 20th International Conference Engineering Design 2015 Milan, Italy.
- Shao F, Hon KKB, Ding ZY. Virtual assembly for complex aerospace products- a case study on the assembly of an aircraft wing. Flexible Automation and Intelligent Manufacturing, FAIM 2015, Wolverhampton.
- University of Leeds 2007-2010 Research Engineer
- University of Liverpool 2010-2013 Research Associate