Professor Derek Ward
Position: Professor of Public Health
College: College of Health and Social Care
Research Centre: Health and Social Care Research Centre
I have a dual role with academia and the NHS. For 3 days a week I am a Professor of Public Health within the newly established Health and Social Care Research Centre at the University of Derby. During the other 2 days I provide professional public health advice into the 4 Clinical Commissioning Groups across Derbyshire. Prior to taking up this joint role, I was Director of Public Health for Derby City for 5 years, firstly as an Executive Director within NHS Derby City Primary Care Trust and then latterly as a Chief Officer of Derby City Council. I also have significant experience of national and regional policy work, having been a Consultant in Public Health and a Senior Civil Servant in the Department of Health (DH).
I worked for the Department of Health for 13 years in a variety of roles across three different regions of the Country (North West, North East and East Midlands) and also in a national role in the Research and Development Directorate of the Department.
I obtained undergraduate and Masters degrees in Social Science (Psychology and Sociology with a specialist focus upon research) in the ‘90s before completing a Master’s Degree in Public Health at the University of Liverpool Medical School in 2001. I am also a Fellow of the Faculty of Public Health and a Fellow of the Royal Society for Public Health.
My role is research focussed. However I teach on the Masters in Public Health at Derby University. I also teach Foundation Year 2 (F2) Doctors at Nottingham Medical School and have done so in Newcastle, Liverpool and Leicester. I am a registered Academic and Educational Supervisor for Public Health Registrars on behalf of Health Education England.
- 2015 - to date. Member of a National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) Public Health Advisory Committee (PHAC). See https://www.nice.org.uk/Get-Involved/Meetings-in-public/Public-Health-Advisory-Committees
- 2015 – to date. Member of the Faculty of Public Health Academic and Research Committee. See http://www.fph.org.uk/public_health_standards_and_knowledge_committees#research
- 2012 – to date. Founding member of the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) Local Government Public Health Reference Group. This national group uses existing NICE Guidance in order to support local health systems and local Government to implement the most evidence informed programmes of work. See http://www.nice.org.uk/About/What-we-do/Our-Programmes/NICE-Advice/Local-government-briefings for more information
- East Midlands Collaboration for Leadership in Applied Health Research and Care Governance Board Derbyshire CCG Representative.
- Public Health Research
- Health Service Research
- Healthcare Public Health
- Health Protection
- Health Promotion
- 2014: Fellow of the Royal Society for Public Health
- 2012: Member of the American Association of Public Health
- 2011: Member of the Association of Director of Public Health
- 2008: UK Public Health Register. Registration number 0428
- 2008: Fellow of the Faculty of Public Health, part of the Royal College of Physicians.
- BA (Hons)
- “Health: from Prevention to Recovery” presentation to at the Derbyshire Police and Crime Commissioners Summit on Drugs, July 2015
- “Successfully Campaigning and Raising Awareness - Becoming a Heart City” presentation at Cardiovascular Health 2015: Improving Public Health Outcomes, Inside Government, London, July 2015
- Invited Speaker at the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence Annual Conference 13-14 May 2014. “Moving forwards in public health: health improvement in a regulated environment”
- Invited Speaker at the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence Annual Conference 14-15 May 2013. “Returning public health responsibilities to Local Government”.