Position: Programme Leader FdA/BA (Hons) Professional Culinary Arts and Management
College: College of Business, Law and Social Sciences
Department: Hotel, Resort and Spa Management
Subject area: Hospitality and Culinary Arts
I am the undergraduate programme leader for FdA and BA Professional Culinary Arts and BA Professional Culinary Management. I also deliver modules on the BA International Hospitality Management and BA Hotel Management programmes. My main duties involve ensuring that the culinary programmes run smoothly, curriculum development, and ensuring a positive student experience.
I am the module leader for Research Skills, Professional Kitchen 1, Independent Study in Culinary Arts and Supervising the Customer Experience, as well as teaching on the Delivering the Customer Experience and Event Catering Management modules. Many of the modules on the culinary arts and management programmes are practical and are vital in the development of students' professional skills needed for successful careers in industry. Real World Learning in central to the curriculum offer within culinary arts and students are required to work on events such as wedding, conferences and banquets, as well as running our own AA rosette highly commended fine dining restaurant at the Dome.
My research interests include:
- Leadership, coaching and mentoring within professional kitchens
- Standard operating procedures and quality management systems for branded restaurants
- Employee wellness and organisational behaviour within the culinary sector
- Experiential learning as a curriculum model for culinary programmes.
- Craft Guild of Chefs (Master Craftsman)
- Institute of Hospitality
- British Hospitality Association.
- BSc (Hons) Hospitality Business Management, Sheffield Hallam University
- PGCE Post Compulsory Education and Training, Sheffield Hallam University
- MA Education, University of Derby (in completion).
- Duarte Alsonso, A., Sakellarios, N., Jones, C., Cseh, L. and Cooper, S.J. (2016) 'Value for money and the restaurant experience: a case study of supply and demand stakeholders', International Journal of Leisure and Tourism Marketing, 5 (1), pp. 44-64.
- Duarte Alonso, A., Sakellarios, N., Jones, C., Cseh, L. and Cooper, S.J. (2014) 'Perceptions of value for money from the supply side: A preliminary study', Council for Hospitality Management Education annual research conference 2014. University of Derby, Buxton, 28-30 May. CHME.
Current Activities / Links with Industry
I maintain ties with industry by providing operational support for a regional catering agency. As a department we are very focused on building partnerships with leading industry figures in order to provide a range of experiential learning opportunities for our students, and work placements are integrated into all our programmes.
I have worked extensively in the restaurant sector, most notably as a regional trainer for the UK's largest casual dining chain. I have also worked for a range of businesses, from small independent hotels to 2 AA rosette restaurants in London. I have experience in carrying out quality and safety audits as well delivering food safety training, having completed CIEH Level 4 Advanced Award in Managing Food Safety in Catering.