Position: Senior Lecturer
College: College of Arts, Humanities and Education
Subject area: Early Years
- I teach across all three stages of the Early Childhood Studies degree
- I am the Stage 1 tutor and Stage 2 placement coordinator
- I lead both the Young Child in School (stage 2) and Leadership in the Early Years (stage 3 ) modules.
I teach on the Emerging Practitioner and Study Skills modules.
I am the module leader for the Young Child in School and also teach on the Developing Practitioner and Early Researcher modules.
I am the module leader for Leadership in the Early Years and I tutor on the Critically Reflective Practitioner and Independent Study modules.
- My professional interest is lifelong learning and professional development in education
- Within early years and statutory education my particular interest is a child's social and emotional development and the impact this may have on behaviour
- Within Higher Education the opportunity for continued self and professional development.
- The value of continuing professional development for Teaching Assistants and Nursery Nurses
- The impact and value of support provided by non teaching professionals in the nursery and classroom
- The quality of teaching and learning for Higher Education students.
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
- BA (Hons) Early Childhood Studies University of Derby (2004)
- Graduate Teacher Programme (2004)
- National Professional Qualification for Headteachers (NPQH) National College for School Leadership (2008)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Higher Education University of Derby (2014).
- Presented at A Child's World International Conference Aberystwyth Wales (2104) Safeguarding: It's everybodies business.
- I am in the final year of a Masters in Education - the focus being lifelong learning
- I enjoy dancing and bike riding
I started my professional career as a nursery nurse and after graduating and achieving qualified teacher status I worked as a teacher in both key stages 1 and 2. My involvement in middle leadership both as numeracy coordinator and line manager of teaching assistants led to my appointment as Headteacher of a primary school.
I have also worked with colleges of Further Education to deliver both early years and professional development qualifications.
Whilst living in Kenya I worked alongside the World Education Service to deliver the Key Stage 1 curriculum to British children. I also established a nursery unit attached to an international school.