Mr Ben Sams
Position: Lecturer in Media Technology
College: College of Engineering and Technology
Subject area: Electrical and Electronic Engineering
I worked on a number of small live events before coming to the University of Derby to study the BSc Sound, Light and Live Event Technology degree, whist studying I worked as a maths mentor for a struggling local secondary school. Upon graduation I worked as a conference technician, classroom audio visual engineer and then learning technology advisor before becoming a lecturer in Live event technology. I have since lead in the development of the BSc (hons) Broadcast Engineering and Live Event Technology with our industry partner Cloudbass, an exciting new course part taught at Cloudbass using their extensive experience and equipment.
- Programe Leader BSc (hons) Broadcast Engineering and Live Event Technology
Lecturer on the programmes:
Undergraduate modules for the 2015/16 academic year:
- Event Design and Management
- Lighting and Video Technology
- Lighting System Design and Application
- Streaming Media
- Live Event Techniques
- Engineering Workshop
- Surround Sound Streaming
- Streaming Video
- Wireless Video Transmission
- Live Event Lighting System Design
- Installation AV
- Health and Safety in the Live Events Industry
- Live sound reinforcement
- Analogue circuit design
- Navigation technology
I am currently studying a PHD in the field of surround sound audio streaming over the internet using the webapp.api
Fellow of the Higer Education Academy
- BSc (Hons) Sound, Light and Live Event Technology
- Post-Graduate Certificate of Higher Education
- Sams, B. (2014). Using technology in music tuition. In:Derbyshire Music Education Hub Convention. Derby.
- Sams, B. (2014). HOW HAS THE INTRODUCTION OF SKILLS BASED ASSESSMENT METHODS IMPROVED STUDENTS’ ABILITY TO LEARN BASIC SKILLS REQUIRED IN VIDEO PRODUCTION?. Masters. University of Derby.
- Sams, B. (2013). Using technology in music tuition. In:European Piano Teachers’ Convention. Canterbury.
- Sams, B. and Bishton, J. (2012). Capturing Student Tutorials. In: Learning Teaching and Assessment Conference. Derby.
- Sams, B. and Stevenson-Revill, S. (2012). Supporting Blackboard. In: Blackboard Learning and Teaching Conference. Leeds.
- Sams, B. (2011). Getting to know the new Blackboard. Derby.