Dr Anne Danby
Position: College Lead in Quality Enhancement
College: College of Business, College of Life & Natural Sciences
Department: Corporate Learning, Life Sciences, Natural Sciences
My varied academic, research, audit and quality assurance background give me a holistic approach to quality enhancement in Higher Education. I have experience of teaching and assessment both face to face and by distance learning, as well as writing and reviewing regulations and preparing businesses for audit. I started work at Derby in 2009 in the Assessment and Awards Unit, moved on to UDC and am now College Lead in Quality Enhancement (CLiQE) for the College of Life and Natural Sciences and the Department of Corporate Learning in the College of Business.
As a CLiQE I am responsible for ensuring that programmes are developed and managed to be robust, innovative and provide an excellent learning experience, making full use of feedback from learners and external experts. My training, teaching and consultancy as an ecologist and experience as a business owner inform my role in Derby. Within Learning Enhancement I also look at wider quality enhancement across the University and the sector.
Open University Tutor for "Environment: Journeys through a Changing World", teaching students about environmental change by looking at emblematic ecosystems as case studies.
Self-employed consultant in tropical forestry, sustainable development and agricultural and forestry environmental management, including environmental impact assessments, FSC, ISO14001, environmental stewardship (HLS etc) and English woodland grants.
- Environmental change and innovative sustainable development
- Tropical ecology, including large mammal tracking, small mammals, amphibians, reptiles and butterflies
- Environmental stewardship via agriculture and forestry
Full Member of the Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management.
- BSc (Hons) Ecology and Environmental Management, Cardiff University
- PhD Latent Endophytic Fungi in Birch Trees, Cardiff University & Forest Research
- 2009-2014 Farm Environment Plans for Higher Level Stewardship Applications
- 2009 State of the Forest evaluation of the national forest sector in Kenya for the Swedish International Development Agency
- 2008 Biodiversity training development and delivery to forest workers in East Africa
- 2008 Pathology study in timber of Coigue in Curaucutin, Chile
- 2007/8 EIAs for timber processing sites and forestry plantations in South Sudan and Tanzania
- 2007 Design and delivery of indicator species monitoring tools for foresters, Kilombero Valley Teak Company
- 2007 Contributor to the International Forest Certification Training Programme in Sweden
- 2006 Successful FSC certification process for Tanganika Wattle Company
- 2006 Referencing and good academic practice guidelines
- 2006 QAA audit, highest possible outcome
- 2005 FSC stakeholder consultation workshops
- 2008 International Forest Certification Training Programme, Sweden
- 2007 Bushmeat Conference, Zoological Society of London
- 2002-2009 Principal Consultant Wildhorus Ltd
- 2000-2002 Research Coordinator for the Frontier Tanzania Savanna research programme
Ecological and sustainable development consultancy and research work in Tanzania, Kenya, Uganda, South Sudan, Chile and Sweden.