Professor Angelo Maligno
Position: EPM Technology Chair
Prof Maligno holds a Laurea Degree in Nuclear Engineering (University of Palermo, Italy). Prof Maligno then completed his PhD in Mechanics of Composite Materials at The University of Nottingham (UK). Prof Maligno has significant experience in the R&D analysis and design of structural components. He has been involved in several multi-disciplinary research and industrial projects aimed to investigate the response of advanced engineering materials and structures to various types of external loading and environmental conditions, using a combination of analytical, numerical and experimental techniques. Prof Maligno has worked in Academic institutions at the University of Palermo (Italy); The University of Nottingham (UK); Loughborough University (UK). Prof Maligno held several positions in Industry and Consultancy sector in the field of aerospace, defence, nuclear engineering. He also worked for Rolls Royce UTC as a Research Engineer in collaboration with the University of Nottingam (UK).
Prof Maligno has been appointed EPM-Technology Chair and Professor of Composite Materials at the Institute of Innovative Sustanable Engineering (IISE) - University of Derby. In this role he leads research related to the mechanics of composite materials, design and analysis of advanced structures with particular emphasis on Nano-Augumented/Nano-Engineered hybrid structures for harsh environment, hight temperature applications in the aeroaspace and motorsport industry. Also, Prof Maligno coordinates the research and development activities in the new state-of-art facitlities at EPM-Technology in Derby.
Summary of Expertise
1) mATERIALS AND STRUCTURES
- Materials for Aerostructures.
- Materials for Aeroengines.
- Materials for Nuclear Fusion.
- Carbon/Carbon Composite Materials.
- Multifunctional Materials and Smart Structures.
- Nano-engineered, Nano-augmented Composite Materials, Hybrid Systems.
- Materials for Extreme Environments: Hypersonic Speed, High Temperature,
- Materials for Micro Electro Mechanical Systems.
2) ENGINEERING STUDIES
- Linear and Non-linear FE Analysis.
- Multiscale and Stochastic Modelling.
- Computational and Experimental Damage and Fracture Mechanics.
- Computational and Experimental Stress Analysis.
- Computational Multi-physics AnalysisandFluid-Structure Interaction.
- Computational and Experimental Damage Tolerant Analysis of Structures.
Computational and Experimental Impact Mechanics