Position: Senior Lecturer in Publishing
College: College of Law, Humanities and Social Sciences
Subject area: Publishing
I am Programme Leader for the university's new MA Publishing, which I helped design.
I am also looking into different ways of expanding Publishing as an academic discipline here at Derby, as well as developing real-world learning provision for students on these programmes.
I will be delighed to talk to staff or students about any aspect of publishing, editing or writing.
I have been a non-fiction publisher for over thirty years, during which time I have been a business leader and manager, and commissioning editor.
I am still a part-time company director of a thriving consumer publishing house (based in the North), which also provides publishing services to a wide variety of publishers, including project management, typesetting and design.
I attend publishing conferences, including the London International Book Fair.
- The History of Publishing, including state censorship and freedom of the press
- Open Access in Scholarly Publishing
- The English Language in Modern Publishing, specifically the ethics of editing.
- Association of Publishing Education
- The Publishers Association.
- MA in Modern History (St Andrews)
- Road cycling
- Fell running
- Italian opera, especially Puccini
- Patron of Buxton Festival.
- Publishing company founder, director and manager, 1984–