Dr Alison Lawson
Position: Senior Lecturer in Marketing and Programme Leader for postgraduate programmes in marketing
College: College of Business
Department: Derby Business School
Subject area: Marketing and Operations
Supporting the Faculty and School vision
I want every student to have the best quality experience possible. This means preparing up-to-date and interesting teaching materials, using a variety of teaching and learning methods, setting relevant and interesting assignments, enabling skills development and encouraging employer engagement. It also means good pastoral care of students - making time to be there when they need me and helping them to achieve their goals.
In addition to my teaching responsibilities, I supervise PhD students and am engaged in my own research as part of the Market Sensing research cluster.
I teach on undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in marketing. I am module leader for Copywriting and Creativity and Writing for Marketing and Mixed Media. I also teach on other modules including Public Relations, Consumer Behaviour and Marketing Research. In addition, I supervise students on the Independent Studies module on undergraduate and postgraduate programmes, helping them to develop research ideas, conduct their own research and form new knowledge.
I'm interested in marketing in the publishing industry, how media is used in marketing and in how students feel about their experience of learning.
My research interests include the use of media (especially traditional print media) in marketing, marketing in the publishing industry and consumption of media. I'm also interested in why students choose to study marketing and in the links between what students learn and the knowledge and skills employers need them to have. As an educator I'm also interested in the effect of the widening participation agenda on learners' identities.
- Member of the Academy of Marketing
- Member of the Arts, Heritage, Nonprofit and Social Marketing SIG, Academy of Marketing
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- BA (Hons) Publishing and German, Oxford Brookes University
- Master of Business Administration (MBA), Keele University
- Postgraduate Programme in Learning and Teaching, University of Derby
- PhD on the impact of ICT on roles, systems and processes in UK book publishing, University of Manchester
- Lawson, A. (2014) Learner identities in the context of undergraduates: a case study, Educational Research, 56(3), 343–56.
- Lawson, A. (2012) 'What to do with the results of your literature search'. In Houghton, E. (Ed.)Education on the web: a tool-kit to help you search effectively for information on education. Slough: NFER.
- Lawson, A. and Benefield, P. (2012) 'Searching for literature'. In: Houghton, E. (Ed.).Education on the web: a tool-kit to help you search effectively for information on education. Slough: NFER.
- Lawson, A., Leach, M. and Burrows, S. (2012) 'The implications for learners, teachers and institutions of using student satisfaction as a measure of success: a review of the literature', Education Journal, 138, 21 September 2012
- Lawson, A. (2011) 'Research award celebration starts new community', practical research for education, 44, 33-4.
- Lawson, A. (2011) 'Tool-kit 11: Writing up research - some tips to get you started', practical research for education, 44, 7-11.
- Lawson, A. (2011) (ed.) Research tool-kit: the how-to guide from practical research for education, volume 2. Slough: NFER.
- Lawson, A. (2010) 'Research award celebration starts new community', Education Journal, 124, 29.
- Lawson, A. (2010) (chair) Education for employment and life: symposium at BERA 2010, Research Intelligence, September 2010, p.20.
- Lawson, A. (ed.) (2009) Action research: making a difference in education. Slough: NFER.
- Lawson, A. (ed.) (2008) Research tool-kit: the how-to guide from practical research for education. Slough: NFER.
- Zheng, V., Lawson, A., Jones, P. and Longbottom, D. (2013) Social media in business: perceptions, drivers and best practice guidance from the UK perspective, Academy of Marketing Conference, Cardiff, 11 July 2013.
- Lawson, A. and Lawson, D. (2013) SME networking and IMC, Academy of Marketing Conference, Cardiff, 11 July 2013.
- Lawson, A., Fiddeman, I. and Gilbert, S. (2013) Embedding research skills in a subject-specific module: a case study of the second year Media Management module, Learning Teaching and Assessment Conference, Buxton, 4 July 2013.
- Lawson, A. (2012) Learner identities in undergraduates: a case study, British Educational Research Association (Bera) conference, Manchester University, 5 September 2012.
- Lawson, A. (2012) Is there a link between learner identity and subject choice in undergraduate marketing students?, Academy of Marketing Conference, University of Southampton, 3 July 2012.
- Longbottom, D., Hilton, J. and Lawson, A. (2011) The role of deep emotions in service improvement initiatives: a summary of literature and a survey of critical factors, Academy of Marketing Conference, Liverpool University , July 2011.
- Education for employment and life symposium chair at the British Educational Research Association (Bera) conference, Warwick University, 3 September 2010.
- Supporting practitioner engagement in research, presented at the Research Celebration Day, City College Norwich, July 2010.
- Connected resources for research and practice, presented at the Universities Council for the Education of Teachers, Hinckley, 10 November 2009.
Deputy Head of Communications, Marketing and Information Services
National Foundation for Educational Research (NFER)
Senior Lecturer in Publishing
West Herts College, Watford
Prior to the lectureship at West Herts College I worked in the publishing industry from 1992 to 2000 for the following publishers:
- Chapman & Hall
- Kogan Page Limited
- BMJ Books
- NFER - Membership survey and analysis for the Institute of Learning: July 2009 to January 2010