Position: Programme Leader in Radiography
College: College of Health and Social Care
Department: Health Care Practice
Subject area: Diagnostic Imaging, Radiography
I am the Programme Leader for the BSc (Hons) Diagnostic Radiography course.
I have module leaderships and teaching across various modules within the programme. I have overall responsibility for students in an academic setting and placement over all three years.
As well as a heavy involvement on the undergraduate programme, I'm the module leader on the post graduate Radiographic Image Analysis of the Appendicular Skeleton which sits within the MSc Advanced Practice programme.
I have many other roles and responsibilities which include:
- Personal tutor
- Curriculum design
- Assessment co-ordination, design, marking and internal moderation
- HCPC audit of placements
- Schools liaison lead for Radiography
- STEM ambassador
- Programme Committees
- Chair student representative meetings
- Dealing with disciplinary, academic and professional misconduct
- Academic counselling
- Timetabling modules and assessment schedules
- Overseeing the introduction of new placements and the implementation of a Hub & Spoke model of placement provision
- Preparing programme enhancement plans
- Preparing undergraduate budget
I'm a member of various groups and boards both internally and externally, these are:
- Member of Education, Health and Sciences Service User’s group
- Health and Social Care research group
- College placement group
- Interprofessional practice placement group
- Represent Radiography at Business and Commissioning meetings and College Quality Enhancement Committee
- Member of College of Radiographers admission tutor forum
- Member of the College of Radiographers course leaders forum
I have a large part in our values based recruitment; specifically the admissions process of checking personal statements, interviewing, covering open days, clearing and helping organise our selection days.
- Developing Professional Practice 1,2 and 3,
- Anatomy and Physiology 1,
- Anatomy Physiology and Applied Imaging,
- Principles of Radiographic Imaging 1,2,3 and 4.
- Internal moderator for Science and Technology 1,
- Using research for Practice and Skills for Graduate Practice.
I have a special interest in plain film trauma imaging and CT. I am interested in radiography reporting for both plain film and CT heads.
I am interested in research around a radiographer-led stroke team and how prepared radiography students are for dealing with death and the dying patient. I am also interested in the use of service users in recruitment, teaching, assessment and feedback.
- Health and Care Professions Council,
- Society of Radiographers,
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- BSc (Hons) Diagnostic Radiography, University of Derby
- Post Graduate Certificate in Higher Education, University of Derby
- Master of Science in Health and Social Care- University of Derby Expected 2016
Synergy News, April 25, 2014, Issue 77 ‘Session explores using social media in teaching’ Available online at www.sor.org/ezines/studenttalk/issue-77/session-explores-using-social-media-teaching
- Achieving Excellence in Radiography - Manchester (Nov 2012)
- UKRC- Poster presentation (Jun 2013)
- UOD Learning, Teaching and assessment Conference (July 2013)
- International Society Radiographers and Radiological Technologists World Congress in Helsinki June 2014, Poster presentation “New options for placement provision”
- UKRC in Manchester June 2014, Poster presentation “Death and Dying-Are students prepared?”
- UKRC in Manchester June 2014, Poster presentation “Self-assessment = autonomous learner?”
- UKRC in Manchester June 2014, poster presentation “Using social media to promote the Radiography subject area”
- IV cannulation
- Imaging Services Accreditation Scheme (ISAS)Assessor
- External Examiner at Portsmouth University
- Reviewer for Radiography Journal
- HCPC Fitness to Practice Panel Member
- National Stroke Ambassador
I worked as a full time clinical radiographer for the Leicester Royal Infirmary for over four years. During this time I rotated around the imaging department including CT, theatre, Fluoroscopy, paediatrics, Plain film and accident and emergency radiography.
I undertook a four week placement at University of Colorado Hospital in Denver, USA. During this time I studied techniques for magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).
Presented at ISRRT in Finland and visited Qatar as part of the International scoping exercise.