Position: Lecturer in Sport
College: College of Life & Natural Sciences
Subject area: Sport and Exercise
I currently lecture across both the Joint Honours and Foundation Degree pathways in Sports Coaching at the Buxton Campus. I am the module leader for Introduction to Anatomy and Kinesiology, Applied Anatomy and Kinesiology and Introduction to Exercise Physiology. In addition to these responsibilities I also lecture on the Sports Rehabilitation and Strength and Conditioning modules of the MSc Sport Coaching programme.
I am a Chartered Physiotherapist with particular interests in Sports Injury Rehabilitation and Prehabilitation. I have worked in both NHS and private settings with a variety of patient populations. I currently work closely with Mark Cheetham and Minas Mina providing support to a number of elite track and field athletes, golfers and professional footballers for the University.
As well as providing consultancy on athlete prehabilitation and performance enhancement I am also currently involved in research projects around these topics with particular focus on athletic movement control and functional stability.
In previous years I have provided Physiotherapy cover for the English Golf Union, British Orienteering Foundation, Barnsley Football Club and Sheffield Steelers Ice Hockey team. Most recently before being employed by the University of Derby I worked at Sheffield Hallam University’s Sports Injury Clinic supporting scholarship and professional athletes focusing primarily on preventative and performance enhancement physiotherapy as well as more traditional injury rehabilitation.
I am very interested in professional development and whilst employed by Sheffield PCT worked on a collaborative research project with Rachel Crawford of Sheffield Hallam University. The project focused on developing a graduate preceptorship programme with an aim to support new graduate physiotherapists in their first year of employment. This service development role involved literature review, organisation and co-ordination of various research focus groups, development of a theoretical model with full rationale and implementation of the programme including initial evaluations.
- Level 4: Introduction to Anatomy and Kinesiology, Introduction to Exercise Physiology,
- Level 5: Applied Anatomy and Kinesiology
- Level 7: Sports Rehabilitation and Mechanics of Injury, Strength and Conditioning
- Physiotherapy preceptorships (Graduate development programmes)
- Movement screening
- Functional stability
- The use of compression garments in exercise
- Chartered Society of Physiotherapy
- Health Professions Council
- BSc Physiotherapy, Sheffield Hallam University, 2006, First Class Honours
- PGDip Sport Injury Management and Therapy, Sheffield Hallam University, 2010 Merit
- Rylands, L. Roberts, S, J. Cheetham, M. Baker, A. (2013). Journal of Exercise Physiology. American Society of Exercise Physiologists. 16:3.
- Baker A, Crawford R, (2009) A report on the implementation of a pilot preceptorship programme for band 5 physiotherapists working in Sheffield PCT. Sheffield Hallam University and Sheffield PCT
- Baker A, Crawford R, (2010) The Sheffield PCT Preceptorship Programme for Band 5 Physiotherapists: The user guide for preceptors and preceptees. Sheffield Hallam University and Sheffield PCT
- Member of the Faculty Quality Enhancement Committee
- Provision of Sports Physiotherapy services to University supported athletes
- English Golf Union - West Midlands Regional Physiotherapist Sept 2011 - Oct 2012
- Sheffield Special Olympics - Volunteer Coach and Physiotherapist Sept 2008 - Feb 2012
- British Orienteering Foundation - Great Britain Squad Physiotherapist Apr 2010 - Aug 2011
- Sheffield Primary Care Trust - Physiotherapy Preceptorship Development Apr 2009 - Aug 2011
- Sheffield Hallam University/Tass - TASS Funded Physiotherapy Intern Sep 2009 - Aug 2010
- Barnsley Football Club - Part-time Academy Physiotherapist Aug 2009 - Sept 2010
- Leicestershire County and Rutland PCT - Musuloskeletal Physiotherapist Jan 2009 - Sept 2009
- Sheffield PCT - Physiotherapist with the Community Learning Disabilities Team Feb 2007 - Apr 2009