Sociology (Joint Honours)
What is Joint Honours?
A Joint Honours degree gives you the opportunity to study two subjects as one degree. This type of degree will broaden your skill set and enhance your career prospects.
You can combine any two subjects as long as they’re in different zones, find out what you can combine this subject with.
Why choose this course?
Studying Sociology at Derby will give you a head start in a richly rewarding graduate career - and prepare you for life as an actively engaged citizen.
- Explore a wide-ranging subject which gives you the knowledge, skills and confidence to pursue a successful career in many different sectors
- Get to the heart of public debates: ours is a modern course where you’ll focus on the issues and trends influencing society now
- Boost your employability through work placements, fieldwork and advanced research skills
- Be inspired by our enthusiastic and approachable teaching team who will support you every step of the way
- Broaden your skills and knowledge by combining Sociology with another subject, opening up an even wider range of career paths
- Herbert Spencer (1820-1903) was born in Derby and credited with founding the study of sociology. Spencer was a philosopher, biologist, anthropologist and political theorist. He is best known for the expression "survival of the fittest", which he coined after reading Charles Darwin's On the Origin of Species.
- Shape your future at the No.1 university for graduate employment in the East Midlands (HESA 2015 - universities with a graduating class over 2000).