BA (Hons) Sociology with Foundation Year*
Why choose this course?
Studying Sociology at Derby will give you a head start in a richly rewarding graduate career - and prepare you for life as an actively engaged citizen.
- If you have the ability to study for a degree, but don’t have the necessary formal qualifications to enter directly on to the Honours degree programme, you can choose to start at Foundation Year stage.
- Enjoy an outstanding learning experience on a course which consistently achieves great results in the National Student Survey: in 2014, 92% of our students were satisfied with their course
- Explore a wide-ranging subject which gives you the knowledge, skills and confidence to pursue a successful career in many different sectors
- Get to the heart of public debates: ours is a modern course where you’ll focus on the issues and trends influencing society today
- Boost your employability through work placements, fieldwork and advanced research skills
- Gain an international perspective on sociological issues - with the chance to go on an exchange to Charles University in Prague
- Be inspired by our enthusiastic and approachable teaching team who will support you every step of the way
- You can also choose to study Sociology as a joint honours degree and combine it with another subject
- Herbert Spencer (1820-1903) was born in Derby and credited with founding the study of sociology. Spencer was a philosopher, biologist, anthropologist and political theorist. He is best known for the expression "survival of the fittest", which he coined after reading Charles Darwin's On the Origin of Species.
Shape your future at a university ranked in the top twelve in England for employability.
*This is a new course starting in September 2016 (subject to approval).Show All