In this section
BA (Hons) Sociology with Foundation Year
Why choose this course?
Studying Sociology at Derby will give you a head start in a richly rewarding graduate career - and prepare you for life as an actively engaged citizen.
- If you have the ability to study for a degree, but don’t have the necessary formal qualifications to enter directly on to the Honours degree programme, you can choose to start at Foundation Year stage
- Enjoy an outstanding learning experience on a course which consistently achieves great results in the National Student Survey: in 2014, 92% of our students were satisfied with their course
- Explore a wide-ranging subject which gives you the knowledge, skills and confidence to pursue a successful career in many different sectors
- Get to the heart of public debates: ours is a modern course where you’ll focus on the issues and trends influencing society today
- Boost your employability through work placements, fieldwork and advanced research skills
- Gain an international perspective on sociological issues - with the chance to go on an exchange to Charles University in Prague
- Be inspired by our enthusiastic and approachable teaching team who will support you every step of the way
- You can also choose to study Sociology as a joint honours degree and combine it with another subject
- Herbert Spencer (1820-1903) was born in Derby and credited with founding the study of sociology. Spencer was a philosopher, biologist, anthropologist and political theorist. He is best known for the expression "survival of the fittest", which he coined after reading Charles Darwin's On the Origin of Species.