BSc (Hons) Zoology
Why study Zoology at Derby?
Animal biology, molecular biology, genetics, wildlife conservation, and habitat management are just a few of the topics you’ll cover when studying BSc (Hons) Zoology at Derby. We champion hands-on, practical learning to enhance your real world experience and boost your confidence.
On our course you will:
- cover a wide range of zoological topics, from learning about evolution of life, microbiology, and field biology, to studying invertebrates, genetics, and habitat management. All on a course accredited by the Royal Society of Biology
- participate in fieldwork in the UK and abroad, putting classroom theory into real world practice
- gain hands-on experience through placements with industry leaders, such as Sea Life, Twycross Zoo, and Derbyshire Wildlife Trust
- develop the knowledge and skills that have led past graduates to secure roles as graduate ecologists, trainee animal technicians, animal care assistants, and laboratory technicians.
You can also study Zoology at Derby as a joint honours degree, combining it with another subject to expand your knowledge.
Discover Derby: an exciting city, an exciting future
The city itself makes up a large part of your university experience. Derby boasts:
- a thriving nightlife and social scene, including numerous nightclubs, restaurants, and bars
- continued investment in entertainment and sporting sites, like the multi-purpose QUAD and Derby Arena facilities
- the fastest growing economy in the UK.
Join us at an Open Day
Choosing the right university is a big decision, so we’d love to help by showing you what we have to offer. You can find out more about Zoology from our friendly staff, and our current students will be on hand to give you an insight into life at the University of Derby. You can also tour the campus and halls of residence to discover if we’re the university for you.
Darren Christie, graduate and Conservation Officer in the Falklands
"Having enthusiastic and approachable lecturers ensured I always felt able to discuss a point without feeling uncomfortable, and this made the lectures interesting rather than a struggle. A degree in Zoology from Derby has prepared me well for my chosen career in conservation."
96.9% of Derby graduates were in work or further study within six months of completing a full-time degree. Read more.